The 14 day self isolation requirement is based on Covid-19’s long incubation period. Travellers could be a carrier and not show symptoms and be spreading the virus in our public areas. Yes, this includes washrooms, grocery stores, retail—any public space.
Resorts of the Canadian Rockies, owner of Fernie Alpine Resort, suspended operations as of midnight Sunday. John Shea, President/Chief Resorts Officer, commented, “Here at RCR our number one priority is the safety, health and well-being of our Guests, Team Members, and the Communities which we live, work and play in.”
Fernie had reports of visitors coming from high risk areas and locals returning from foriegn destinations and have been seen in public areas and NOT self isolating. We do need to work together and adhere to the knowledge and advisories that have been stated by our health officials to minimize the spread of Covid-19.
Here are Health Canada’s advisory to travellers returning to Fernie:
– Self-isolate for 14 days after your return from travel outside of Canada. Some provinces and territories may have specific recommendations for certain groups such as health care workers.
– Monitor your health for fever, cough or difficulty breathing.
– Wash your hands often for 20 seconds and cover your mouth and nose with your arm when coughing or sneezing.
If you develop a fever, cough or difficulty breathing within 14 days:
– Continue to isolate yourself from others
– Immediately call 811:
– describe your symptoms and travel history
– follow their instructions carefully
NEW Online self-assessment tool
This self-assessment tool, developed with the BC Ministry of Health, will help determine whether you may need further assessment or testing for COVID-19. You can complete this assessment for yourself, or on behalf of someone else, if they are unable to.
The risk in Fernie is very real and now is a great time to stay home, self isolate and connect with family, read a book or go for long walk. Be cautious and follow the health guidelines and hopefully we’ll beat this virus. Thank you for your all that you are doing during this difficult and evolving situation.
By Dan Savage