Park Place Lodge
Fernie Annex History

Fernie Annex history has resurfaced in the form of old wire-wound wooden water pipes recently dug from beneath the neighbourhood.

The unusual pipes — wooden staves wrapped tightly with steel wire — raised the question of just how long they had been buried beneath the Annex. Historical records suggest they may date back more than 115 years, to the neighbourhood’s earliest development.

The name “Annex” is almost as old as Fernie itself.

Fernie incorporated in 1904, and the 1905 Fernie Incorporation Agreement officially divided the new municipality into the “Present Fernie Townsite,” the “Park” and the “Annex.” Much of the Annex land was controlled by the Crow’s Nest Pass Coal Company and its subsidiary, the Crow’s Nest Pass Electric Light and Power Company.

A 1905 advertisement provides an even clearer picture of what was happening. The power company was marketing a new Fernie Annex townsite of approximately 550 lots, laid out alongside the new Great Northern Railway line. The advertisement said Fernie had outgrown its original townsite and new residential lots were urgently needed.

Fernie’s first water system was installed by the Crow’s Nest Pass Coal Company between 1899 and 1900.

By 1906, the growing town had already overwhelmed it. A new reservoir and larger mains were built, with 12-inch supply lines running into town. The smaller branch mains serving Fernie’s streets were six-, eight- and ten-inch wire-wound wooden pipes — the same basic construction visible in the pipes recently excavated from the Annex.

There is an even stronger connection.

Fernie Annex History

Fernie Museum photo.

The Fernie Museum collection contains a historic photograph identified as “Installing water pipes, the Annex, August 1909”.

That does not prove that the recently excavated pipes were installed in August 1909, but it provides compelling evidence that this type of infrastructure was being installed in the Annex at exactly that time.

A date around 1909 would make the pipes approximately 117 years old.

Rebuilding After the Great Fernie Fire

The pipes were being installed during one of the most dramatic periods in Fernie history.

The Great Fire of August 1, 1908 devastated virtually the entire community. According to the Fernie Heritage Strategy, an engineer’s survey following the fire recorded just one surviving house in the Annex.

Rebuilding began almost immediately.

In 1909, the Crow’s Nest Pass Coal Company surveyed and began selling lots in an Annex extension running north from the city boundary between the Great Northern Railway right-of-way and the Elk River.

It was during this rebuilding and expansion that the Fernie Museum photograph records water pipes being installed in the Annex.

Fernie Annex History

The early Annex wasn’t the desirable riverside residential neighbourhood it is today.

It was low, marshy ground beside the Elk River. The Fernie Museum’s history of the city’s Italian community records that coal fragments were dumped onto the marshland to provide footing for miners’ houses.

The Annex became home to many of Fernie’s working families, including a significant Italian immigrant population. Mining and railway employment drew people to Fernie from around the world, and modest workers’ houses stood in contrast to the larger homes occupied by the city’s more prosperous residents.

The railway was never far away. Neither was coal — even the ground beneath some of the houses reflected the industry that created Fernie.

Fernie Annex History

The Elk River also shaped the Annex.

Its low elevation made flooding a recurring threat. Fernie’s Heritage Strategy documents repeated floods affecting the Annex and surrounding areas throughout the 20th century, including major events in 1948 and 1974.

Over time, flood protection, roads, utilities and new homes transformed the neighbourhood, while Annex Park and the river corridor became some of Fernie’s most valued public spaces.

Yet pieces of the original neighbourhood remain underground.

The wooden pipes recently pulled from beneath the Annex may look like construction debris, but they are likely remnants of the period when Fernie was recovering from the Great Fire, expanding northward and installing the basic infrastructure for a new residential neighbourhood.

More than a century later, Fernie is still digging up its own history.

Editor

Leave a comment

Related Stories

#FernieReport on Instagram

Follow