Effective at 1pm this Friday, May 29th all Category 2 and 3 Open Fires will be prohibited in the Southeast Fire Centre.
This does NOT apply to campfires that are a half-metre high by a half-metre wide or smaller, and it does not apply to cooking stoves that use gas, propane or briquettes.
The activities that WILL BE prohibited include:
· the burning of any waste, slash or other materials.
· stubble or grass fires of any size over any area.
· the use of fireworks, sky lanterns or burning barrels or cages of any size or description.
· the use of binary exploding targets (e.g., for rifle target practice).
· the use of air curtain burners (forced air burning systems).
This prohibition covers the RDEK (including all 6 of the Electoral Areas), all BC Parks, Crown lands and private lands, but does not apply within the boundaries of municipalities that have forest fire prevention bylaws and are serviced by a fire department.
It is extremely dry out there this year. Even though campfires are still permitted, please make sure you keep them small and ensure they are fully extinguished (cool to the touch) before leaving them.