Akamina #1 was the first oil well drilled in BC. This was done in 1907 by the Royal Canadian Oil Company. It was drilled by cable tools (some of which are on display at the Fernie Derrick site) to a depth of 1200 feet. Some tools were then lost at the bottom of the hole and the well was abandoned. Useable parts of the rig were then moved to Akamina #2 in 1908. This was drilled to 600 feet and again tools were lost down the hole. It is from this rig that the metal components were salvaged by Dave Yager in 1984 and used to reconstruct the present rig at the east entrance to Fernie. 23 wells were drilled in the Flathead in the 1907 – 1930 period.
Fernie Derrick Society The Fernie Derrick Society maintains & updates the historic wooden oil derrick at the eastern entrance to Fernie on Highway 3 in front of the Fernie Chamber of Commerce building.