Fernie Council Meeting September 20, 2011Posted by admin in : Fernie Council Meeting , trackback
1) Baynes Lake Columbia River Treaty Information Sessions
Columbia Basin Trust (BCT) will be co-hosting 10 Columbia River Treaty (CRT) information sessions in various communities across the Columbia Basin this fall to increase Basin Residents awareness and understanding of the CRT.
The Open House and Information session to be held near Fernie will be at:
Location: Baynes Lake – Jaffray Hall /
Jaffray Village Loop
Date: Tuesday, October 4, 2011
Time: 2:00 – 7:00 p.m. with a
Free BBQ from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. and
Presentation from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
2) Columbia Basin Alliance for Literacy
Councillor Macnair confirmed participation and his planned attendance to attend a Community Literacy Advisory Council meeting scheduled for Tuesday, October 4, at 3:00 p.m. at the Sparwood Public Library.
3) Safety Concerns for Motorists and Pedestrians on Highway #3 – Fernie and Area
Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure responded to Council’s July 28th letter outlining safety concerns on Highway #3 in the Fernie Area.
Council requested staff to forward the Ministry’s letter to Mr. Simon Piney, a local resident and further, to Mr. Mike Sosnowski, Area A, Director with the Regional District of East Kootenay for information.
4) Fernie Chamber of Commerce – Campsite Facility
A letter from the Manager of the Fernie Chamber of Commerce regarding the need for a year round camping facility in the Fernie area was addressed and will be forwarded to the Regional District of East Kootenay, the Leisure Services Advisory Board and the Forever Fernie Community Sustainability Action Team for comment.
5) Regular Meeting of Council and Committee of the Whole meetings scheduled for Monday, September 26th, have been cancelled in order that the Mayor and members of Council be able to attend the 2011 UBCM Conference.