Fernie is at significant risk for flooding today, according to B.C.’s River Forecast Centre.
Although already on a flood watch, Fernie’s potential for flooding was upgraded to ‘significant’ today due to forecasts of heavy rainfall today and significant rises in river levels through today and into tomorrow.
“Significant rises are expected on the Elk River over the next 24‐48 hours and flood conditions are possible,” according to the advisory.
In 1995 Fernie experienced what was considered to be a 50 year flood. At that time Fernie’s dykes were reinforced however parts of the community remain susceptible. Lets hope for a change in the weather.
- High Streamflow Advisory for the Elk River
- Fernie Declares a State of Local Emergency
- La Nina is where, gone?
- Fernie’s Heavens Gate Proceeding
- Fernie’s Civil Air Search and Rescue
- Fernie Rivers Dominate Endangered List
- Fernie’s Movie Out Here – Official Trailer
- Fernie’s Arts Station Needs You!
- Fernie has Diesel Spill
- Fernie Mountain Film Festival