Elk River Alliance mandate:
Elk River Alliance is a community-based water group that aims to connect people to the Elk River ensuring it is drinkable, fishable and swimmable for future generations.
Vision of the Elk River watershed:
A place where well-managed human activities result in healthy ecosystems and a robust economy.
What we do:
Use education to raise our collective watershed literacy stimulating person water stewardship. Facilitate community dialogue and engagement to inform sustainable water decision-making. Monitor to assess aquatic health and prioritize community involvement in activities that enhance and restore aquatic ecosystems.
Principles Guiding ERA Activities:
– We aim to unite not divide. We bring together diverse points of view and offer a safe place to dialogue about the Elk River.
– Although we do not have decision-making authority, our role is to stimulate broad-based conversation, provide a conduit for information sharing and facilitate community input encouraging sustainable water decision-making.
– Promoting a new era in watershed thinking, ERA contributes a coordinated community voice to watershed planning and management, regulatory processes and other regional water initiatives e.g. Teck Elk Valley Water Quality Management Plan.
1. Increase and ease public access to information about the Elk River watershed.
2. Use education and community outreach to strengthen water literacy and meaningful participation in the decision-making process affecting the Elk River watershed.
3. Encourage public participation to enhance and restore aquatic ecosystems, wetlands and riparian areas.
Visit Elk River Alliance for more information.