Park Place Lodge

Non snow related things to do

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      staranian
      Participant

:( Hi, My girlfriend injured her achilles tendons quite badly after we had booked a two week snowboarding holiday to Fernie. This means she has some difficulty walking and will not be able to snowboard.
      ANY ideas on things we could do and see while we are there would be greatly appreciated. Cancelling the holiday was out of the question, we were looking forward to it too much.

Thanks,

sreed16
      Participant

lucky for you that you are here for griz days. pick up the fernie free press newspaper and it has a couple pages of events going on. its a lot of fun. :D [/b]

staranian
      Participant

thanks for that, are the Griz days on for the two weeks starting from March 20th?

gen
      Participant
      "sreed16":3s0qeo9f wrote:
      pick up the fernie free press newspaper [/b][/quote:3s0qeo9f]

…but it’s not free :o my first day in fernie I picked up a copy at the 711 and tried to walk out with one :lol:

czar from afar
      Participant

Sorry to hear about the injury.

Things to do for the injuried and infirm:

1) The aquatic centre is surprisingly top rate. It is new and it has every imaginable amenity.

2) Fernie itself is a great walking (limping?) town. It is not really a ski resort village, but a real life Western coal mining town with a great main street.

Some things from the Fernie Guide (http://www.fernie.com/fernieguide/indoor.html) include:

3) The Vogue Theatre:
      The Vogue Theatre: Escape for the evening. Get a bag of popcorn and settle in for some great entertainment. Tuesday specials, new releases and foreign films. Downtown, 321-2nd Ave, 423-7111

4) Ghostriders Hockey:
      Ghostriders Hockey: Head down to the Fernie Memorial Arena for the fastest and toughest hockey around; the Ghostriders are the only Canadian team in their NAHL league.

5) Fernie Brewing Company:
      The Fernie Brewing Company, Fernie¬¨??s own microbrewery, offers a fascinating tour ¬¨?± a must-do for anyone interested in the art of beermaking. To book your group, call 423-7797.

6) There are also a few spas in town.

7) You will find some terrific restaurants here. I love the Curry Bowl, but there are lots more to try.

8) Finally, there are some professional wildlife and landscape photographers in town. You may want to see about signing up for lessons. You won’t easily find a better location.

9) If you are here March 18-21, the free skiing competition is worth watching, particularly on the last day. It might be a bit difficult to get up the mountain, but I bet that there is a way.

I hope this helps and I wish you both lots of fun.

sreed16
      Participant

griz days actualy start today until sunday march 7th. enjoy your time here

griz-boy
      Participant

Check out the Griz Days schedule! Tons of stuff this weekend. I will miss the Big Air Comp this year. Looks like a rail jam instead. Too much carnage from past years I guess.

http://www.fernie.com/events/march_2004.html

staranian
      Participant

:D Thanks very much for all of your help, We’re really looking forward to getting out there. Hopefully My girlfriend will be better for next year to make the most of the snow :!:

Cheers.

elsie
      Participant

Also check with the resort for stuff to do…they do have sleigh rides and other stuff like that in addition to skiing and boarding.

Viewing 8 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register