Whistler vs. Fernie: cost/riding/people?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      jvd
      Participant

Hello All;

So I’m at a crossroads. I’m currently living in Whistler, but am finding the cost to live here is a bit restrictive. A lot restrictive, actually.

I have no car, and primarily ride my snowboard. I’m looking for friendly people to ride with and live with, and town with a ‘real’ atmosphere to it.

Is there work to be had? Is it all minimum wage, or can I make more than that? And I’m looking for a place to rent for around 400 dollars.

Let me know what you think…shall I move? Please tell me why I should!!

Thanks in advance everyone;

jon

elsie
      Participant

I personally have not been to Whistler so I can’t give a totally detailed comparison, but in passing I have heard Whistler compared to Disneyland, whereas Fernie is a true working town. If the ski hill weren’t here, Fernie would still exist, which gives it kind of a unique twist. The cost of living is very reasonable. You should easily find a room for $400 for the winter, the earlier you come and the longer you commit to a place, the better for you price-wise. Groceries are not cheap but they certainly can’t be more expensive than the coast! A pass is cheap if you work at the hill, otherwise, it’s pricey but you’ll get many many days in since the weekdays are not busy at all – it’s great for those working weekends.

Fernie is a great place to live and work, I think you’ll find it a positive move. If you’re looking for lots of services and chain stores like The Gap, it’s the wrong place, but otherwise it’s great!

tankerboy
      Participant

There is no doubt that Whistler is a great place. We cannot be bias when speaking about ski resorts. I love the skiing/riding at the top of Whistler and in the back country. The snow can be very wet at times and moguls seem to cover the entire mountain. But when the crowds are down and the snow is cold, it is pure magic.

Fernie will make you giggle with excitement. Life is about going to different places, trying new things, and whatever makes you feel like a kid on Christmas Day. When it dumps in Fernie, it is that day. The entire resort is steep and near by are several other ski hills that offer variety. If you’re into hiking, well, it’s endless. The resort can offer untracked turns all day if you know where to go at what time.

$400 month to share a room is attainable, there a jobs if you show for the job fair in Oct. If you are interested in spending the following summer, there are construction jobs that pay more than minimum wage. Faces will become familiar and crowds are restricted to powder days and holidays.

It is a beautiful little town with great places to eat and enjoy a few beers.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 2 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register