Park Place Lodge

need for veterinarian

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      dennis
      Participant

Hello. We live in north Idaho and we have spent a great deal of time in the Fernie area over the past five years. We have had an interest in relocating to Canada and Fernie would be my first choice.

I am a veterinarian by trade and have noticed at least one animal hospital in Fernie. Also, in the phone book, I only see that same hospital listed.

I would appreciate any opinion regarding the need for another practicing veterinarian in Fernie. I have over 20 years experience and not only practice conventional medicine but holistic as well.

Thanks for your time and feedback.

username
      Participant

I’m not sure about the need for another clinic….but I do know that the dog population in Fernie is gigantic. There is at least 4 dogs per block here in Fernie. There are also plenty of cows and horses.I personally don’t take my 2 dogs to the clinic in Fernie but instead prefer the all female Dr’s in Cranbrook.

griz-boy
      Participant

Absolutely YES!!!

We do have one vet in town, but is really really bad! He must be burnt out or unmotivated to do better because he is the only one in town. I have only had to go to him once to never want to return again.

Myself and friends as well take our pets to Cranbrook about an hours drive away, they are excellent vets. Blairmore I have also heard has a good vet. On occasion we drive up to Calgary for yearly shots.

I would save alot of time if there was someone good in town. We also lost our pet store this summer. We could use a place to get misc supplies. Again Cranbrook or Calgary for dog food.

lk
      Participant

Yes Please think about it I am another on that agrees with Griz Boy It sucks and i take both my Dogs to Cranbrook. The Vet Now is Never around when we really need him. And i Also know alot of other people that refuse to take there pets there. Another vet would be great for Fernie.

sparkes
      Participant

elsie
      Participant

I’ve worked in vet hospitals in the past and interacted with dozens of vets, the vet in Fernie is hot and cold, not sure if he really cares, his bedside manner definitely leaves something to be deserved. I think that’s why so many people go to the Crowsnest Pass or Cranbrook.

There’s certainly room for a small practice, you could service the Elk Valley, not just Fernie (that’s Sparwood, and Elkford).

If you have any large animal experience that helps as well, there are quite a few ranches and horse farms within 50k.

Good luck!

spicky
      Participant

YES!!!
      I and ALL of my pet owner friends also agree with everyone here. The vet in this town should not be in the practice of helping animals. He shows no compassion whatsoever and appears to be in this business for the money only. I have a large number of pets and if ever there is trouble, Cranbrook’s Steeples vet is my number one choice. A few years back when this new vet took over, one of my dogs become very ill and I rushed him to the fernie clinic. While I stood there panicking with my dog on the table, Mr. H..T stood gazing out the window clearly thinking of other things and maybe wishing the appointment to be over. Thankfully my dog fully recovered, but only after I called Steeples for further remedial advice-advice which I reported back to the fernie vet to see if he could supply the recommended meds-upon him hearing that I called another vet for help, Mr. H…t raged at me then cut the connection of the phone!! I think there is a definite need for a loving, compassionate vet in this town-there is certainly a large enough animal population to sustain a good veterinarian.
      Hope to see you here!!

se
      Participant

definately yes!!! just like everyone else, i take my animals to the steeples vet clinic that’s an hour away. what i like about them, is that like yourself, they also practice the holistic side of things. i have tried the vet in town and i just don’t like the blase attitude and it’s extremely pricey. also, recently, my mother had to take her dog to be euthanized. she too, uses steeples but it was something that had to be taken care of immediately in fernie. we had an appointment in the morning, waited 30 painful minutes before we were tended to. it was a little insensitive. so all in all, i will continue to take both my cats and dogs to cranbrook unless something changes. i would love to have a vet closer by in case of emergency. you should try us out – we’ll most likely give you a try!!! :)

zack
      Participant

I agree with everyone else. The vet here is insensitive and rude. I would love to see an alternative in town and I think many people would prefer not to have to drive to Cranbrook. Come to Fernie.

canatedian
      Participant

nuff said?

scott
      Participant

The Fernie vet is horrible with dogs and people. A friend of mine, who was my vet before I moved to Fernie, made me promise not to take my dog to the Fernie vet because of his reputation. I have been told that he is more of a large animal vet, but there are so many dogs in fernie that we need a decent small animal vet. I take my dog to a vet in Coleman, who is excellent but it would be great to have someone local.

seasonsgreetings
      Participant

Does anyone have anything nice to say about this guy? Someone must go there, if he’s still open…

canatedian
      Participant

My dog came home one day after running around off his leash in town. (He’d never hurt a fly, and you drivers should simply slow down and take in the views).
      He had a split on his ear and it was bleeding on the top of his head. It was also Super Bowl Sunday.
      I didn’t know if he had been hit by a car or what.
      I called and explained my situation, and without hesitation, the local Doc looked at, cleaned up, and fixed my dog.
      The best part is that I explained my cash situation when I called and interupted his family time and they were all cool, I think they waited more than a week to get paid.
      I don’t shop around for a vet. When my dog/animal is sick I take them to the closest professional around.
      I did have a previous file with Doctor Lawson, but it did not change the situation or animal lovers concern for the well being of both me and my lil Buddy.
      I think in protest of your attitudes and responses to this topic I’m gonna get my Cat Something special for Christmas. Fixed. It’s the gift that keeps from giving.
      I wish Our local vet and his family, Peace and prosperity for many years to come.
      PS. Any competition is healthy, I welcome any new bussiness ventures and investments in our community.

rebalz
      Participant

You got to have some heart to be a vet and personality helps as well, also if you have an emergency number for after hours…answer it! :x As for prices…….way cheaper in Coleman

Viewing 13 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register