Park Place Lodge

LIVE @ HOME…

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      tigermilk
      Participant

I hope I’m not alone in saying this, but Fernie needs a good kick in the pants when it comes to live music. Hats off to Pocket Rocket for *trying* to inject some life into the local music (albeit a little too redundantly). Also, I do applaud the Free Press for trying to increase its coverage of local music events and listings. I don’t remember the names of the two (Aussie) artists featured in last weeks issue, but good on you. Keep on truckin’.

My beef is the fact that there SEEMS to be no effort on the part of bar owners to draw *decent* live acts. For the record, I’m excluding the El Dorado (and the Pub to a limited extent) from this beef, as they seem to be offering the most in terms of live music (even if I wouldn’t call myself a fan of whatever “fusion” of music they are serving up these days).

Here are a list of potential rebuttles:

1) What is the attraction? [b:bnt4iulz]Live music rocks
      [/b:bnt4iulz]
      2) What’s in it for the bar? [b:bnt4iulz]During the winter season, it seems like bar owners can’t do wrong (selling ice to an eskimo, enough said)[/b:bnt4iulz]
      3) Why would bands come to Fernie? [b:bnt4iulz]Why not?! The majority of bands play Vancouver and Calgary. They just need to come through Fernie rather than Banff.[/b:bnt4iulz]
      4) Would it be expensive? [b:bnt4iulz]Live shows in Fernie average about $10-$15 a head, for bands no one has ever heard of. I’ve seen live shows in the “city” for $4, and these are bands with record deals.[/b:bnt4iulz]
      5) Where would they stay? [b:bnt4iulz]I work at a hotel and we routinely offer up free accomodation for the few live acts who roll through town.[/b:bnt4iulz]

I know that there are a lot of people out there who agree with me, and a lot of people who don’t give a rats…I just want to know how people feel.

I do also want to mention that the Arts Station does offer a good lineup; however, there is an absence of good bar shows for the younger audience.

The lack of live *decent* live music is biggest complaint about life in this valley…

Rock out!

huckin eh
      Participant

Here here!
      As a former resident of southern Ontario, I was spoiled with the number of great acts that I saw in the Bar scene in Toronto and even the surrounding Burbs.
      Ill pay 10$-15$ to get a good view and feel of some good licks!
      Always have, always will!

sparkes
      Participant

Tigermilk, The Northern, from time to time used to get in some kick ass bands, even tho it was the redneck bar, the Smalls played there on a few occasions, Joe Huston almost a tri-anual thing, you seem to know what your talking about so why don’t you go up to the bars and talk to them? I don’t think to many bar owners are on this forum.

huckin eh
      Participant

I know a wicked blues guitarist from Calgary who I met in Yellowknife of all places! I will talk to him and to some bar owners to see if I cant get a gig set up for him and his band. He plays steevie Ray Vaughn blues tunes better than Steevie played them himself

tigermilk
      Participant

Sounds good…

I’ve been busy over the last few days sending e-mails to various management groups and booking agencies to see what sort of options we have. No news yet to report, but I’m sure I’ll be hearing from them shortly.

In other news, it’s cold outside…HAHA

huckin eh
      Participant

Good!
      I like cold!
      It keeps the crowds at home and leaves more freshies for me!
      I spend my time away from Fernie in the Arctic so I am used to the cold.
      Its minus 41 here today!

elsie
      Participant

Tigermilk I think your post is spot-on.

When I first moved to Fernie I expected there to be a really vibrant music scene. Hats off to those who are trying, but let’s face it it is pretty barren.

I’m wondering if it’s because Calgary doesn’t get a great amount of good music since the country thing is so big there? Just a thought…

Anyhoo, any efforts you make to get some bands here that we a) haven’t had three hundred times before or b) aren’t that great, would be totally supported by this wallet.

good luck

marcinfernie2005
      Participant

Nice to see some interest in live music in Fernie. My band LURE
      ( http://www.abandcalledlure.com ) and I have just returned from Australia where we toured for 3 months. We would gladly play in Fernie.
      Thanks
      Marc
      http://www.marccharronmusic.com – I am a one-man-band
      http://www.marccharronmusic.com/projects.htm – The Cheap Seats rock
      http://www.abandcalledlure.com – LURE upbeat happy rock.
      check em..

Viewing 7 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register