Fernie’s not Whistler!

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      leftcoast
      Participant

Fernie has a mining town history dating back to the 1890’s and the major economy continues to be so, not tourism.

Whistler’s economy is solely tourism.

To tourists in Fernie, keep in mind that only the tourist businesses want your visit.

All the other locals want you in Whistler.

Be smart, respect locals, and act accordingly.

moke
      Participant

f@ck whistler

timber
      Participant

What the hell are you talkin’ aboooot??? Thats some dumb shit!!!

leftcoast
      Participant

Ask the two Calgary lads who had their faces severely rearranged at the Royal this Friday past. Respect the locals…

That dumb shit timber!

timber
      Participant

PFFFFFT!!! You gonna kick my ass? HAHAHAHAAA!

leftcoast
      Participant

Oh, the opposite Timber.

My point is that tourists have to be aware of the attitude and risks inherent with a mining town.

The Calgary lads might have walked away had they understood the risk.

Fernie’s not Whistler!

timber
      Participant

OH!!! Those Calgary dudes probably did nothing to spark the intrests of our local dildos. Sometimes I wanna lay into some of those bastardos though too. Oh well. Have a gooder

angelap
      Participant

I think we all need to go back to kindergarten and learn how to play nice and respect each other.

fernierider
      Participant

It’s a two way street – maybe some of the locals should get their heads out of their asses? If I’m walking around at 3am alone I’d feel much safer in the worst parts of Calgary than anywhere here in Fernie. I don’t know the story behind what happened with these Calgary kids, but, a lot of the locals do just want to start shit. Case in point? My friend last year stumbling home late at night, not doing anything to piss anyone off, assaulted by two ‘local’ dickheads. Another case in point? The story of the two guys walking home on new years this year, a car pulling up and beating these (very drunk) guys up senseless. I’ve personally had over 5 instances where a ‘local’ will try to start shit because I’m not originally from here.

angelap
      Participant

My comment was directed to everyone. I live here – by no means can call myself a local as I was not born here and have been told on many occasions that I will never be a local, but everyone needs to change their attitudes. My husband was almost beat up by a ‘local’ who has lived here for 4 years when he was washing his hands in the bathroom in one of the bars (no reason whatsoever). Today I was given the finger twice by Albertans while I was stopped at a stop sign downtown. I agree that it is a two way street, and find it very sad how the people in this town, both ‘locals’, actual locals and visitors treat people. Whatever happened to what your mom told you to do “treat others how you want them to treat you”, saying “have a nice day”, a simple smile, or as I’ve seen so many times at the grocery store or gas station – not freaking out at the cashier. It’s common courtesy. We need to start being nicer to people. If it’s this bad now – what will it be like in 5 or 10 years?

fernierider
      Participant

^ I COMPLETELY agree. I’m glad you were able to say it better than I was though.

timber
      Participant

Hey me gradiduateded kindergardening. You just have to realize that it is a cruel world we live in. I can appreciate your point of view but really, Fernie is just a small reflection of what is happening in our society and around the world. You can beat yer bongos and smile all you like and preach doogoodery but that will never change it. Nothing will. Evolution. We grew thumbs…we built clubs…..we bash each other over the head.

UNGABUNGA!!!

czar from afar
      Participant

Are things really this bad?

I am a frequent visitor, and I hope to move my family to Fernie. I have heard occassional stories about locals taking out thier frustrations on people who are new to the town, but I have never experienced it. This thread has me wondering if I would be putting my wife and kids in danger by moving to Fernie.

Are there common targets (i.e. Calgarians, Australians, ethnicities, religions, old guys, young guys, etc.)?

What type of locals cause the problems, and what are they so frustrated about?

gumbootgal
      Participant

I think the problem is the merge sign on the Hwy at the entrance to FAR coming from the Elko side. hahaha :lol: It makes people mad as it is directed at the SKIHILL traffic coming off the hill. THEY HAVE TO MERGE onto the HIGHWAY, not the other way around! I have thought many a time on my way home from work at 4:30 about this, as I almost get creamed at least 4 times a week by a ” non-local” zooming to beat me! Yah I know not really the topic here but I had to vent, as it happened AGIAN today. :wink:
      I do not think your family would be in any danger Czar. I seems to be related to the “nighttime ” activities of the town. *HIC*
      I have been here for 5 years and have never had a problem. Maybe it is because I am married to a local? :wink: Naaa, he thinks all this stuff that is going on is nonsense as well, and makes all the people who are from Fernie look the jackass’s. Hopefully it gets better before it gets worse, and Fernie gets a bad rep. :roll:

timber
      Participant

Its not that bad here, just people overly concerned abooot some yeah hoos. Actually its not bad at all. The FLIPPIN’ Roads are worse than the so called hostile locals. If you don’t have 4×4 I wouldn’t move here either. The Mayor is a dork and spends his money on signs and pretty things besides road maintenance. Thats what makes me angry, its like Bagdad Boulavard.

leftcoast
      Participant

Perhaps I should have stated that “Fernie’s not Whistler” however the roads are equally as dangerous! The dork is another topic.

The locals are not the cause, the visitors are.

Locals don’t tolerate abusive behaviour. City folk give and receive abusive behaviour every day just to get down the street or into the transit. Some practice such behaviour in Fernie, with dire consequence.

Think again, adjust your behaviour, education and awareness is everything.

Returning to the “tall buildings” with having had a positive experience is in the cards of the visitor.

Remember “Fernie’s not Whistler”!

gavitron
      Participant

One would have to grow up in old school Fernie to understand all this. Yea, it was “redneck”. Getting in fights is a defining part of some peoples lives. Among these people fighting isn’t really viewed as a big deal. You either win or lose, and depending on that outcome you either get to do as you please or shut your mouth. So when people show up from other cultures they get freaked out. Perhaps they were tricked in to thinking they were coming to a resort town. Sorry, you were misled. Fernie may be in a transition, but ATM its still very much a coalmining, sawmill, logging, riding horses and hunting kind of place. The only advice I could offer is if you don’t want to run the risk, don’t drink with these people. And don’t waste your time trying to convince them you’re a local.
      I am however starting to believe we’ve “out-rednecked” ourselves. And it all started the day some young MoFo told me not to park where I did and to respect the locals or get out of his f*ckin town.

canatedian
      Participant

I blame preservatives and SouthPark.
      But scientists have claimed with the increase of heat attributed from global warming, our blood pressure has risen as well.

You can’t have your cake and eat it too, unless you have no friends. Then I guess all you can do is sit and eat cake all by yourself.

Why do they call it Tourist Season if we can’t shoot them?

I would love to see some of these City people try to pull the attitude they display in some bars south of the Border. (Montana People don’t ask questions they Shoot first then reload).

leftcoast
      Participant

I never understood the true meaning of “Tourist Season” :twisted:

Canadians are guilty of assuming that we have higher standard of rights and social order than those of Montana or Mexico.

We don’t.

Guns, fists, knives, and tazers define power in Canada. Watch for the pot-holes.

timber
      Participant

Too funny!!! Tourists, Aussies, Albertans, Quebecors, Onterribillians, Hippies, Rednecks, Knuckle Heads, Posers, Miners, Loggers, Framers, Boozers, Dopers, Homos, Dykes, Sledders, Skiers, Snowboarders, Thieves, Doo-Gooders, Anglers, Dirt Bikers, Mountain Bikers, Bikers, Hikers……. The ones that usually suffer at the hands of our local street justice system are usually the loudest, most ignorant, arrogant wanna-be tough guys. They are usually represented by our retarded cousin next door, that whore Alberta. All these types of people can be found here, for the most part I think we get on pretty well!

Mayor is an Asshole

gagbandit
      Participant

Some interesting points of view. A theme that I find intolerable however is that criminally assaulting someone ( with associated injury ) is somehow justified by either the nature of the town ( it’s a mining town etc ) or the person assaulting another is just a “redneck”. Another poor one is the person is not a local. Many many people live and visit Fernie that are from other parts of our great country – we have freedom to move in this country and it is a precious right. Just because someone did not grow up in the Elk Valleyis not a reason to be hospitalized by some thug hiding beind the moniker of a local, coal miner or sawmill worker. Similarly if someone is impoilte then they display their ignorance – you can’t justify smashing there head in for it.
      These are all very poor excuses to hide behind and am surpised by some of the themes on this thread that are making light of it or at worst attempting to justify it. These excuses do not justify in any way the beating of another person. The victim can be injured and affected for Life… and my family has first hand experience with the after effects.

timber
      Participant

Its pretty obvious that yer family is dealing with a situation silmilar in nature, cuz you my friend have been smashed over the head before. WAH WAH……………

mrpolo
      Participant

I have heard and read this type of talk in every small town from here to Alaska. Tourists are viewed as a threat by locals when they appear in large numbers. Locals have a tendancy to believe that the toughest people on the planet were raised in their particular town. The entire situation is predicated on large amounts of booze and a very small number of violent individuals who find it neccessary to compare the length of their genatalia in an urban combat arena. The local dudes involved are probably well know to the RCMP. Tourists who visit and feel that they can leave their manners at home deserve a cheerfully admistered super weggie :D .

gagbandit
      Participant

timber = ignorant

timber
      Participant

hahahahaha!!! Umma ignant type!!!

Viewing 24 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register