Buying skis and the lift?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      iamabbe
      Participant

I have a little question about skis, i dont have a pair of them yet. Im wondering if its cheaper to buy a par of skis and boots in fernie or is cheaper to buy home and then take them on the plane. I.e this par of K2 Hard Side with bindings and boots is around 1300 CAD where i live, sweden. Is there less to choose from at the skii stores at fernie and maybe the prices is a little better?

And ive checket the maps here but i cant find the lift system for the mountin? Is it at the alpine resort? Do you have to take the shuttle bus if u dont have a car or can u walk from downtown?

imported_ryland
      Participant

You won’t find a better selection of skis and boots (all suited for Fernie) than in Fernie itself. The prices will be the same as everywhere else. So save yourself the hassle of travelling with all that gear and buy it here.

You can find the ski hill maps here – http://www.skifernie.com/the-mountain/trail-maps.aspx

It is a 5 minute drive from town, the shuttle system is sketchy at the best of times, if you can even find info about it. Hitch hiking from town is the most popular way of getting to the hill.

idoasiwant
      Participant

Hello:
      I would say for that price to buy them. You will pay that just for skis here. It seems everyone here has to make a months rent on every sale.
      The resort here is really good but the corporation that runs it SUCKS. The lifts from what I hear from the people who work on them are falling down and dangerous. Was speaking with an employee at the hill yesterday and he said that Timber ( the longest lift on the hill) was once again lifting off its anchor bolts. They also like to not run the lifts on some of the biggest powder days of the year because of their worry’s about being SUED. So powder days are in affect ruled by individuals who are 3hrs away in an office tower in Calgary. Your question about a shuttle. The shuttle service is awful at best I hear.

mikes
      Participant

Just so you know, idoasiwant has no idea what he’s talking about. The lifts are NOT falling down and dangerous! This comment is coming from idoasiwant who oviously has no idea what hes talking about. The ski lifts are beyond safe… we all ride them everyday with complete confidence.

The story he has about the Timber coming off it`s anchor bolts is a complete lie. idoasiwant, please tell us who the name of your “friend that works on them is… I`m sure i`ll know him. And the comment of “They also like to not run the lifts on some of the biggest powder days of the year because of their worry’s about being SUED“ is ridiculous. Come on…. where are you getting these facts from…. They are all wrong…

I`m sure idoasiwant will come back with a comment…. telling me to go f—- myself but this is expected from the kind of people like idoasiwant. I am sure you“ll be able to tell everything he says is b.s. by his….. “i heard“ and his “somebody told mè` and “i was talking to“ and “from what i hear is“

P.S. idoasiwant, please can we have your name, where your from and the name of the person you know working on the ski lifts….. thanks Mike S.

jon_e
      Participant

You should ignore "idoasiwant", obviously just a forum troll youy can see that if you look at their other 3 posts.

As far as the skis go, you’ll probably end up paying full MSRP price here if you have your mind set on one particular model of ski, if you’re open minded about it you might be able to get another equally good or even better ski that’s from last seasons collection at a sale price. That said, If you’re going to pay full price for the ski anyway, why not buy it here and support the local economy and have a local shop to go back to if something is wrong with it. Plus they’ll be able to give you advice about whether it is the best ski for you or whether there are more suitable alternatives.

And as Ryland already pointed out – the mountain is seperate from the town – there is a shuttle bus, I think it costs about $3 each way, it runs fairly regularly from the downtown area in the morning and afternoon. Most people either hitch or drive though, or you can even stay up on the ski hill, but rent will cost you more $$ and there isn’t any night life up there – if that’s what you want.

And RCR do suck but don’t let that put you off because Fernie is an amazing ski hill and a great town.

canadianjem
      Participant

Or you could secure accommodations at the hill. Ski in ski out…yeah

Viewing 5 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register