Fernie is in need of workers and is hosting its first ever Spring Job Fair to help address the worker shortage.

Fernie is experiencing a labour shortage which has been increasing, says Brenda Sutherland, with Elk Valley WorkBC.

“Fernie employers are desperate in all areas, not just tourism and hospitality. We’re in desparate need of workers and we just can’t find them. “It’s definitely becoming a crisis here, and has been for the past two years, and it’s progressively getting worse.”

Sutherland said there are three areas in particular that are in crucial need of workers: Contracting, the tourism and hospitality industry, and Early Childhood Education and Childcare.

“Those are the three top ones,” Sutherland said. “But Teck is also still actively recruiting — more mining projects are in the works.

“We just don’t have enough people to fill the demand for what Fernie’s needs are.”

“The past couple of years, people are closing their doors early, because they don’t have the staff. Contractors are being forced to turn down jobs, because they don’t have the carpenters and labourers to do the work.”

WorkBC has taken measures to try to recruit more people locally, specifically youth. The organization is hosting a second job fair of 2018 — something not usually done, Sutherland said.

“This is the first time we’ve put on a Spring Job Fair in the six years we’ve been here. The winter job fair was always sufficient. But the need is so great here that we’re having to put on another job fair in the hopes that job seekers from around the Kootenays will come and apply with some of our companies.”

The job fair is set for May 3, from 2 pm to 5 pm at at 521 4th Avenue at the Fernie Family Centre. Almost 25 employees from all areas of the local employment economy will be on hand.

“The culture here is so different than most small towns,” Sutherland said. “Just the amount of people that come in, then when winter is over all our international visitors are gone — they want to move on to different places. To try to keep them here during the shoulder season is difficult, because they’re ready to move on. If youth were more involved it would make a difference.”

Just based upon statistics that Sutherland has personally gathered from going around to the high schools, 10 to 15 per cent of employable youth are either working or want to work. The other 85 per cent of youth-aged workers are not in the job market.

“There’s that untapped labour market of youth that we’re trying to generate, but but it has been challenging.”

Affordable housing is also an issue in Fernie, Sutherland said. “The housing market here is something that is preventing people from, say, Alberta, or anywhere, from working here, unless it’s for Teck, which is high-paying. There’s housing here, but there’s not available affordable housing. It makes a huge difference in trying to recruit people from other parts of B.C. and Canada.

Any employers interested in attending can contact Brenda Sutherland, Marketing and Community Engagement Elk Valley WorkBC, at email, or call 250-423-4204

Leave a comment

Related Stories