An Evacuation ORDER has been issued for the community of Kragmont and a surrounding area to the south. Crews are on the ground now doing door to door notification. An evacuation ALERT has been issued for the Baynes Lake area.
Understanding the levels of evacuation, there are three key stages in the evacuation process:
· Evacuations Alert: Local authorities issue a warning about an imminent threat to life and property and people in the defined area should be ready to leave on short notice.
· Evacuation Order: When an evacuation order is issued by the local authority, people should leave the area immediately.
· Evacuation Rescind: People under an evacuation order may return. An evacuation order or alert may be reinstated by the local authority if the threat returns.
Preparing for an Evacuation:
In emergency situations, residents in high risk areas should listen to the local media and follow the instructions of local emergency and transportation officials. Prepare ahead by organizing an emergency supply kit with necessary prescription medications, personal toiletries, a change of clothing, insurance papers and other important documents. If you are evacuated, local officials will provide you with information about the location of a reception centre. You are encouraged to register all family members at the reception centre so, emergency responders know that you are safe.
The RDEK has declared a State of Local Emergency for the Baynes Lake / Kragmont area and our Emergency Program has been activated to coordinate the evacuation orders and alerts, provide Emergency Social Services support to those affected, and provide support to the BC Wildfire Service as they work to contain the fire.
In the Columbia Valley, an evacuation order has been issued for one property on the northern-most border of the RDEK north of Spillamacheen. An evacuation alert has been issued for an area from the RDEK/Columbia Shuswap Regional District border east of the Columbia River and south to Westside Road at Spillimacheen.
Residents in the affected area are asked to leave immediately and proceed to the Jaffray Community Hall to register at the Reception Centre.
The Evacuation Order has been issued as strong winds through the late afternoon and into tonight created very aggressive fire behaviour in a wildland fire that broke out earlier today. Evacuations are not issued lightly and are done to protect the public’s safety.
The RDEK’s Emergency Program has been activated to coordinate the evacuation orders and alerts, provide Emergency Social Services support to those affected, and provide support to the BC Wildfire Service as they work to contain the fire.
Information will be available at the Reception Centre as it comes in from the BC Wildfire Service, will be posted on the RDEK website and Facebook page.
Pursuant to the Emergency Program Act (RS, 1996, Chap 111), an Evacuation Order has been issued by the Regional District of East Kootenay due to immediate danger to life safety due to a wildland fire. Members of the RCMP and local firefighters will be expediting this action.
The Evacuation Order is in effect for Kragmont and Area.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:
• You must leave the area immediately and you must not return until this order is rescinded.
• Follow the travel route provided and register at the Jaffray Community Hall located at 7375 Jaffray Village Loop Rd, Jaffray.
• If you need transportation assistance from the area please advise the individual providing this notice or call 250-420-1917.
• Close all windows and doors.
• Shut off all gas and electrical appliances, other than refrigerators and freezers.
• Close gates (latch), but do not lock.
• Gather your family: take a neighbor or someone who needs help.
• Take critical items (medicine, purse, wallet, and keys) only if they are immediately available. Take pets in pet kennels or on leash.
• Do not use more vehicles then you have to.
• Do not use the telephone unless you need emergency service.
YOU MUST LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY!
For more information contact Loree Duczek, Information Officer at 250-919-3489.