Park Place Lodge

When you walk your dog do you carry a leash?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      tmrinas
      Participant

When You Walk Your Dogs Do You Carry A Leash?
      I run my dogs around town on Mountain Scooters, I run my dogs around town on Dogsleds, I have 17 Dogs. Not all my Dogs are like cuddly pets but the ones that aren’t don’t come to town. This winter I was yelled at, screamed at and threatened by people who’s dogs were running around off leash. I don’t think there is anything wrong with having your dog off leash. But I have a huge problem with people who don’t even carry one. Whenever I see someone coming, I stop my teams and make room for the people walking their dogs to pass with the right of way. If someone doesn’t have a leash I offer them one. Yes, I carry extra leashes. I do this not cause I’m an ass but for my dogs safety and for the safety of your dogs. My dogs are working and they don’t appreciate something trying to stop them. If you see me on the trail please don’t yell at my dogs or me. This will only upset me, my dogs and your dog. I’m pretty sure that it is a bylaw to have your dogs on a leash. I hope that some of the people that were so upset because my dogs behaved and their dogs would not listen to them read this. http://www.adventuresource.ca

lk
      Participant

Thank You for someone finally speaking up. I always have my dog on a leash because she is not the greatest listener and some times does not get along with most other dogs but when some people just let there dogs come running up to me and my dog with out a leash and thinks it’s ok becasue there dog is nice well mine is not! and if you want to see a fight i will let it happen because it is there fault for not leashing there dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      But yet i am the one getting dirty looks.
      And As tmrinas says at least bring a leash i will wait until it is leashed to walk by you.

se
      Participant

i agree completely. when i walk my dog, she’s always on a leash for her safety. she’s a friendly dog, but a little too friendly and is prone to approaching everyone else and their dog and because she’s large, that can be extremely intimidating. i know how i feel when big dogs run up to me…especially when i have my dog leashed as well! however, there are certain places, at certain times, that i let my dog run off leash and chase a stick and have some freedom. i always carry my leash, and when i see fellow dog walkers, cyclists, joggers, or people just strolling on these trails, i leash her well before there is any chance for her to have the opportunity to visit. i just feel that it’s common courtesy because not everyone likes dogs or is comfortable with being approached by a strange dog. tmrinas i find it appalling that your well controlled dogs were a source of irritation by people who let their dogs run off leash…that’s pretty rude considering their dogs were off leash to begin with!

canatedian
      Participant

It is a bylaw to be walking a dog on public access without a leash. If you take a few steps into the ditch though, I don’t think they can do anything. I have always had dogs and although people do become irritated when they see an animal walking without a leash they must understand that some animals are capable of being trained to heal, left, right, stop, okay, sit, stay, shake a paw, high five, and fetch a beer. Nevermind is also a great one word comand that I have found efficient when a dog has distraction issues with other animals and people. I Had a dog once that would not leve my side and although she was trained on a leash, once she was a few years old she wasn’t. On the otherhand, she was trained with other very well behaved dogs and in a larger city so the stop comand was understood to her as being for her safety at crosswalks etc.

Also as far I understand the field across from the old high school on second avenue has been allocated as a safe place to play fetch or whatever with your dog/s off the leash. All animals have their own personalities so be cautious introducing them (Even more when on the leash).
      I beleive that a dog is more protective when on a leash because the leash is more of a possesion or control device for the dog. I do walk my dog on a leash and occassionally a muzzle (I’ve had STUPID people see my dog and stick there hands in her face), but I enjoy running my Husky cross down Cokato/Morrisey or putting on the snow shoes and trudging up through the provincial park. Living in West Fernie has it’s benefits as well, and I think my dog has actually been happier being able to socialize with and run in a pack with the other dogs enjoying the same freedom. She comes home when called and avoids the roads (most of the time- So slow down you speed demons).

seasonsgreetings
      Participant

I don’t own a dog, but I do walk them for other people. What I have noticed, in no particular order –

1. Any dog is capable of running under a car if it is not on a leash. I’ve seen it happen, and it’s not pretty, and everyone cries.
      2. All dogs poop wherever they feel like if they are not on a leash.
      3. Carrying a leash doesn’t always mean you can get it on the dog before it causes a problem. This only works in the case of extremely well behaved dogs, and there’s not many of them. And as lk says, just because your dog is nice, doesn’t mean the other one is.
      3. People who walk their dogs off leash always have an unwavering belief that it is acceptable for them despite the city bylaws because thier dog is well behaved, doesn’t jump up, doesn’t run off, won’t chase birds, cats, squirrels, won’t bite a child if it pokes it in the eye…

What I know –

1. You can walk your dog off leash in the off-leash dog park, or outside the city boundaries. If you cannot be bothered to go this far, then leash your dog. You have a choice. If you can’t be bothered to do either then you are too damn lazy to have a dog. If you believe that dogs have a right to roam free, then live somewhere that it there is room for them to do so and stop making excuses.
      2. Some people are afraid of dogs. If a dog runs up to them, they will be afraid. You may know that your dog just want’s to say hello but they don’t, and if they have a heart attack (it’s possible) or run, fall and break their arm (happend to my sister when she was 10, and chased (in fun) by two of the nicest, friendliest dogs imaginable, she just got spooked by their big teeth, and the fact that they were bigger than her) then it is your fault. Their is a bylaw to protect those people, and if you don’t like it, that is your problem, not theirs.
      3. Dog faeces contain bacteria that can cause blindness in children. If you allow your dog to roam wild, and the dog craps in a child’s play area, and a child then, in the course of play, get it in their eyes, they could go blind, or catch all sorts of who knows what illnesses. Also your fault.
      4. Roads are for cars. The speed limit is the safe speed to travel on the road. If you are travelling at, say, 60kmph, and a dog runs out in front of you, you may not have time to stop. To travel much less than the speed limit is as dangerous as going over it (you get a ticket in some countries) and to travel way under the speed limit just in case a dog runs out, is damn stupid – I don’t know anyone who does. The speed limit at which a dog can be hit and have any reasonable chance of survival is 20kmph. Are you suggesting we all travel at that speed because you can’t be bothered to walk your dog? Kids need to run free too – but most parents manage to keep them off the highways. Should dog owners have less responsibility for their animals? Or do you just care less?
      5. On a dark night in October (hungry bear season) in one of the city parks, a large black animal came racing out of the trees at me. I was so scared I nearly passed out. When I realised that it was a dog, I called to the owner “you should really have your dog on a leash when it is this dark” the response? “So should you!” – mine was.

Angry dog owners with the unwavering belief that they are the exception to the above, please respond here!

Viewing 4 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register