When It Snows We Close?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      legendary lies
      Participant

Fernie’s true legend is "When It Snows We Close".

Todays Elk and Deer Chair only was not impressive.

Lets see what tomorrow brings.

Perhaps another day in the coffee shop?

freshsnow
      Participant

avalanche danger due to the heavy wet snow was incredibly high today. One ripped from the top across the Deer Trail. Crowns were 2-3m, and the width of some were 200m. I wouldn’t want to be caught in an avalanche because they opened up terrain to please the holiday-makers. Safety first.
      I did hear a rumour though that people who paid for the first tracks program were up skiing the Bear at 8am, and season pass holders (who normally get this privilege on the last Sunday of the month) were not allowed as it wasn’t safe. That definitely seems hypocritical, either it is or isn’t safe, and people can go up or they can’t.

rudy-admin
      Participant

It is very sad to loose so many in one incident at such a precious time as Christmas. My condolence’s go out to all the family and friends of those lost in today’s tragedy.

The Canadian Avalanche Association had the Avalanche Forecast posted as "Considerable" as late as 2PM today. At 8PM it’s posted as "High" as it should have been earlier.

Based on early morning avalanche activity the patrol at FAR shut down their terrain for the safety of the public and employee’s.

fernie_beer_fan
      Participant

its very unfortunate if there were lives lost because of this…

good on them for shutting down the upper hill (it was an obvious HIGH risk day) but it sounds like a select few still got to ski it and if its deemed unsafe nobody should be on the hill, I don’t think RCR needs to brew any more resentment do they? paying customers should get to ski the hill just as much as the upper-mgmt, if not more!

I enjoyed hearing the avi bombs going off this aft and driving thru the huge snowbanks! I just wish it snowed like this in November!!!

kwish
      Participant

Legendary Lies….I hope you now understand that safety in the mountains comes first. You should be happy that someone is looking after your well being out there and should not be crying because limited runs are open. Just think of those poor families who are suffering right now. I don’t think you want to put your own family thru such pain.

legendary lies
      Participant

How about the Legendary Triangle being replaced by the new "Strip".

The "Strip" is the Bear fenced and guarded on either side. May it only be a Legend.

Alberta’s returned to work, it’s snow time folks!

kris.j
      Participant

Is legendary lies pissing anyone else off? Take a look around and maybe take a avalanche awarness course, then you’ll understand. Dig a snow pit for yourself..your probably thinking, whats a snow pit…right?

gumbootgal
      Participant

Or just go ski somewhere else if it’s upsetting you that much …..maybe if the other hills have closures there will be other nice "coffee shops" to hang out in?? They may even serve attitude adjustments..? ;)

kwish
      Participant

yes, someone should take an avi course.

legendary lies
      Participant

yah, gutta luv riding the Elk and Deer chairs…

legendary lies
      Participant

I thank the patrolers, their friends, FAR staff and management for skiing the closed areas during the past few weeks to protect fools like myself.

Your bravery and professionalism is to be appreciated and respected.

Thanks again!

Viewing 10 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register