Park Place Lodge

what’s the truth about Fernie

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      stonehouse
      Participant

Hey I’ve just been reading some posts about Fernie locals attitudes to outsiders.
      Is it really a redneck town or is it just bravado?
      I come from Australia and am moving to BC soon. I was thinking about Fernie as a great place to move to with my family, but not so sure now. I have teenage sons and I dont want them going out and getting beat up just because they aren’t locals.
      Just to mention, we also come from a little rural town: dairy, beef and timber are the main produce, so we dont have a big city attitude.

What’s Fernie really like?

tinan
      Participant

Fernie is a great place. I have only lived here since May of 2008, and I feel like I’ve been welcomed by open arms. The whole town has a relaxed "ski bum" type attitude and I love it. I have lived across this whole country… from Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, smaller communities too. No matter where I went Fernie is by far the best place to live, and now I’m staying.

My son goes to school here, and is doing great. I have never heard of anyone getting hurt because they were not local… This whole town survives on tourism. The small town shops on Second Avenue are wonderful, and the coffee is great. Personally I prefer the taste of Kicking Horse coffee which I get at Fernie Shirt Store.

People in this town do try to get you to "shop local" which means trying to put your money into local store owners over the francises in town. But I don’t think they would frown on people who don’t.

I think if you came here, you would end up falling in love with it. Your sons would enjoy all the activities they have, and sporting clubs. I know mine do.

Welcome to Fernie!

Tina.

supermom
      Participant

I agree.
      There are sometimes problems with locals vs non locals, but there are also problems with locals vs locals and tourist vs tourist.
      This is the best town I have ever lived in and I laid down roots, bought a house and had kids here because there’ s no where else I’d raise my children. I know you’ll enjoy it.

kwish
      Participant

Not having kids here, but being of the mid 20’s age group….Fernie has affordable housing issues to the extreme! Working couples / professionals cannot afford to buy in this town, myself included. And what you can afford, is a tear down.

There is issues between locals and tourists. There was a seminar held last fall with special attention paid to this matter. It is a concern. Note that locals are true locals, and even if you are here for 30 years, you are still not a local. Some teens who were born and raised here are not considered locals. Fernie is a small town, that’s an attitude here.

However with that being said, Fernie is a great place. If you move to one of the areas that is populated by fulltime residents, you will be happier. The most people complain about here….well sadly are the Albertans, mostly the Calgarians who trot into their vacation homes for a weekend or 2 weeks out of the year. It’s sad b/c they and other "tourists" are buying up affordable locals housing in order to use it as a vacation home, while locals can no longer afford to buy.

Hopefully things will change….eventually.

LIke I said, without kids of my own, I have never heard about issues….bikes being stolen, yes, but that’s about it. Check out the housing market before you set down in Fernie……

ahall
      Participant

We moved to Fernie in July, a young family with the hopes of settling down. After months of depressing house hunting we chose to purchase in Sparwood, it was either that or be housepoor and live in Fernie (or live in a dilapated shack downtown). The housing sucks market sucks and is driving out the young families that keep the community alive.

That said, I do adore Fernie. :D The people are friendly and welcoming for the most part especially when they realize you’re here to stay. There are outdoor activities galore and for every skill level. And the town is picturesque.

Good luck with your descision!

kwish
      Participant

There isn’t much available for daycare if any…not that that matters as I think you have teens, but this is based on the comment that young families are leaving…..housing issues and daycare shortage!

tinan
      Participant

I understand about the daycare shortage, and since I have younger ones of my own, I had started a day-home here in Fernie. Putting my 3 kids in the "resort daycare" would run me close to 3000.00 a month at their 49.50 a child rate. Not sure what kind of employment I could get that I could cover that, and make money of my own. I currently have space for 2(at $5.00 an hour)… but no biters yet.

Housing is ridiculous here.. unless you have a minimum mortgage allowance of 4-500,000 you really can’t buy a house. I’ve been looking. Anything selling for less than that are shacks that would require extreme renos or worse a tear down and rebuild.

I still love Fernie and have no intention of leaving. We have a lot of friends and family here. We found a decently priced rental.. best time of year was April-June to look for the house since all the winter folks had left, as far as renting property goes.

supermom
      Participant

There is daycare available, you just have to look. Tina (above) and myself are both advertising space available, and both for a very fair rate. There are definately spots around.

moke
      Participant

personally i would not come, here.
      first of all you shovel something that we canadians like to call "powder", wearing your "toque", from november till april, this stuff falls from the sky, yes, i said the sky, in copious amounts.
      secondly, every time you go fishing, your lure, or fly, ineviteably gets stuck on something we call a bullie, or a cutthroat,
      and sometimes, maybe a couple of times a year, you will get stuck in something called a lift line, usually this happens around christmas, and other major holidays, these unusually annoying ocurances, can last sometimes up to 5 or 10 minutes, and can seriously impede your search for powder while wearing your toque..

the only good thing about this town, is the people, and yes even the locals, rednecks or not, rock. you would probably be proud to get beaten up in fernie

liberal
      Participant

Moke cleverly delivers the essence of Fernie that we fun-hogs have gravitated to.

The big question is, "why has the full-time population of Fernie decreased by 10% in the past 5 years?"

Is the migration reason solely the cost of housing or are the larger "resort town" social issues driving people to look for community elsewhere?

All the more shoveling and snagged hooks for us!

chippy
      Participant

My wife and I moved here about a month ago with our 2 yrs 4 mth old daughter from Victoria (BC). So far, we love it here in Fernie.

I have spent time elsewhere in BC, namely Victoria, Vancouver and Galiano Island, but Fernie has left a better impression on my mind. The people have been nothing but welcoming and generous – far beyond what I have experienced in other communities around BC.

I would thoroughly recommend Fernie as a great place to live.

We will also be looking for daycare in the very near future, so any further info would be greatly appreciated.

canatedian
      Participant

Fernie is a great place to Live. I truly love going back to see the progress and changes that the town goes thru.

Even tho the cost of living is rising, people still consider it a popular choice.

re
      Participant

Fernie has every thing i have ever wanted in a 4 season town, thats why i moved here , I did not come here for the peeps , or there problems i came for the life style and the pow, and i thought it would be a great place to raise a fam. and so far not to pat myself on the back or any thing i can say i Hit the nail on the head, 100% right, the place rocks , the pow rules and the peeps well they are the peeps
      come stay go and move back or find something new..
      Stay R.E.A.L :twisted:

Viewing 12 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register