Park Place Lodge

TALKIN’ PROUD – Fernie Local?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      poser
      Participant

TALKIN’ PROUD – Leslie Woit of Ski Canada chatted with some passionate locals who have had a longstanding love affair with their home hill. Matt Mosteller is the Fernie local in the article. He is none other than the self titled "Powder Matt" of the exclusive Breakfast Club, and marketing dude for RCR.

Here are the questions and answers with comments:

What do you love about Fernie?
      Diversity. Fernie has it all. From high alpine bowls to tree skiing, ridge lines and long fall-line groomers. The most diverse terrain around. Period.
      He is paid to spin this story. Reads like a brochure.

What don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t you love?
      That I can?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t be skiing every day.
      That’s because he lives in Calgary – he is not a local. :roll:

Why aren?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t you somewhere else? Because, like Bono and U2 belt out, ?¢‚Ǩ?ìIt?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a Beautiful Day?¢‚Ǩ¬ù every day in Fernie.
      You work for RCR Matt, you are paid to promote FAR and you’re only here some weekends.

What can a one-week visitor appreciate here as much as a local like you?
      The diverse terrain: take Elk chair up to Bear Express, warm up on Bear, then take Cedar Centre, then Boom Chair to Timber Express, doing the trees on Boom, then from Timber explore two of the five bowls: Siberia and Timber.
      "A local like you". Perhaps someday all locals will be of Matt’s residential status and live in Calgary. :?

Give us a secret. C?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢mon, you know you want to!
      Powder seekers should always review the sun and wind patterns. A special place to go: Easter Bowl.
      Now that’s a big secret, ha! This is one benefit of having a local from Calgary, they don’t know where to go. :lol:

What sets the skiing here apart from all the others?
      The terrain, scenery like in a national park but with the convenience of on-mountain accommodation, and a great ski town five minutes away.
      Like a national park – this really states that he is not a local – say No to the Flathead! :mrgreen:

What are you looking forward to most this winter?
      Skiing powder with friends.
      All his friends from Calgary get to ski together every Saturday, while their kids ski in the Calgary based FAST program. :P :lol:

Do you owe anybody money?
      Nope, but my kids owe me.
      You owe Fernie an apology for being a poser Matt, you are not a local. :)

To read the original article:
      http://www.skicanadamag.com/Features/20 … tml#Fernie
      Note that the other ski towns use genuine locals!

admin
      Keymaster

It’s Luke in the Fernie pic, I bet Powder Matt doesn’t rip like a local!

mtnrat
      Participant

If they were going to use an insider, they could of at least used Robin Siggers, who has been here about as long as Griz.

poser
      Participant

Robin rocks as do many staff at the ski hill. Perhaps Powder Matt is in search of glory?

young_local
      Participant

Or they could have had someone born and raised in Fernie?

re
      Participant

why would they use some local hick, who would probably bag Fernie, so he could feel like a local hick ,
      No i,m for getting people with only good things to say for promoting fernie for sure, (kind of like on the news on the housing market) its all good ,
      :twisted:

telegod
      Participant

Interview with a local…

TALKIN’ PROUD – Leslie Woit of Ski Canada chatted with some passionate locals …

The Coal MInes.

The Ski Hill.

Why aren?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t you somewhere else?
      Can’t find work.

Sledding.

Most locals don’t ski.

I don’t ski.

Sledding.

Are you kidding?

toddsphotos
      Participant

That was probably the best post ever on the internet, in a sense if comedy..

young_local
      Participant

The worst part about this is that both sides are in the wrong. Give it a rest people… I don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t get how you can bash ?¢‚Ǩ?ìlocal hicks?¢‚Ǩ¬ù and then turn around and bash anyone visiting. Grow up. What do you consider yourself as then Todd?
      How about this one.
      Interview with a local…me

TALKIN’ PROUD – Leslie Woit of Ski Canada chatted with some passionate locals …

I love that I can ride (a snowboard as well as a sled) and play hockey with guys from all over the world in the winter. Then as soon as winter ends I can bring out the bike, golf clubs, and drift boat… You can never be bored in Fernie.

The people who complain. I don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t care if you are a local ?¢‚Ǩ?ìhick?¢‚Ǩ¬ù, a Calgarian, or someone in between that somehow thinks they are better than both of those. If you are in Fernie for the same reasons as me, it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s because you love it here and can?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t get enough of the lifestyle. If you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re in Fernie because you grew up here and have never left, great, I can respect anyone working at the mines, or logging, etc… if it wasn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t for the mine, none of us would be here. If you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re an Aussie, Kiwi, Brit, or from Calgary, glad you came to see all that Fernie has to offer. Tell all your friends, there?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s plenty room for more.

Why aren?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t you somewhere else?
      Spend a few weeks here and then try to ask yourself the same question. I have left, and I do leave, but Fernie is my home.

Everything. Start out your day with a big banger, then head to the rink and play shinny with the old guys. Once that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s done rip up to the hill for some ?¢‚Ǩ?ìlegendary?¢‚Ǩ¬ù powder. Hit the Griz bar for an apr?ɬ®s drink, then get down to yamagoya and stand in line for some unreal sushi. Once you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re full, head up to one of the bars for some live music and more drinks. Day two- repeat. Maybe throw in a ghostrider hockey game to top off the night. Day three- if you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re tired from skiing, why not go ice fishing? Great fishing around here… Day 4: ski day. Day 5: If you can, go Catskiing with one of the two companies… Day 6- dogsledding anyone? Try it- you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll love it. Day 7- pack up, but then decide you want to do it all over again and stay for a while longer…

The only reason I said there?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s plenty of room for more is because of the secrets.

15cm weekday mornings. Fresh, no lines, everyone having a blast.

Griz days is going to be a blast as always.
      I bet on Ferrer upsetting Murray, so I guess I owe my buddy a jug now.

toddsphotos
      Participant

for the record, i never bashed "local hicks" never have, never will. It was just a unique response to show that Fernie is not just the ski hill.

Fernie needs it all to survive, the ski hill, the cat skiing, the mines, the snowmobileing, and Alberta.

telegod
      Participant

Young local…take it easy, chill. And, maybe go sledding.

young_local
      Participant

Didn’t know I wasn’t chill… you post one thing having some fun, I post one on what I "would have" said if they interviewed me…
      No sledding today, If I can’t see two feet in front of my face it might as well be in white pass…. see you out there 8)

Viewing 11 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register