Park Place Lodge

Snowboarding gear

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      chillednessie
      Participant

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question, I am looking to buy a new board and boots – is it best for me to do this in Vancouver or should I purchase when I get to Fernie?? Having not been to Fernie yet I am unsure of the prices etc – any info appreciated! Thanks

griz-boy
      Participant

The prices here are about the same as Van. You can get a new last years board right now up to 40% off.

The good thing about buying in Fernie is that they will set you up for the best board for Fernie terrian and if you have any problem with the board they will at least know that you bought the board from them. And I always like buying from a small board shop. They have the time to spend with you to make a good purchase.

Last reason. The plane will either lose you board or give it some good scratches. Unless you have a padded board bag.

username
      Participant

I have always got the best deals in Vancouver or even Calgary or Lethbridge. The thing is if you buy it in Alberta it saves you 7% right away because of the tax you don’t pay there. The big stores in the city order huge amounts of snowboards and the companies give them deals. The more they buy the better the deal. They are able to pass these savings on to you. You’ll need at least 160 cm . And the Fatties are the best.

griz-boy
      Participant

Yeah. 7% does help a little, but only if you go to Calgary. You waste that on gas. Really you might save 2-3%

Just because it is Fernie doesn’t mean the shop manager ups the MSRP 10% just to screw the tourist market. A Burton board is basically the same price everywhere unless its on sale.

Unless you want to shop at big box stores like Sport Chek or Sport Swap, but then you get what you pay for. Crap!

Buy last years stuff and save a bundle! :lol:

chillednessie
      Participant

Hey thanks for the valuable info – I’m gunna what till I get to Fernie, yeah if the price doesn’t differ that much I would far rather support the local market & smaller shops!! SO thanks for the tips!!

raify
      Participant

Hello everyone!

I’m coming over in Feb next year, and have my eye on some new boots (Salamon F24).

Over here, they work out at about $430 Can, does anyone know if they’re much cheaper in Fernie?

Cheers,

Nathan

griz-boy
      Participant

Not sure if Fernie sells Salomon boots. Burton, DC, Vans, Flow, Ride, Forum are the few I know of. So to save disappointment you might want to purchase your boots in the UK.

If you fly into Calgary you will probably find them there and to answer your question, friends of mine purchase there stuff here because it is cheaper than prices in Glasgow.

raify
      Participant

Cheers! looks like i’m going shopping this weekend then.

toddo
      Participant

if you want some of last season’s stuff then you should check out sidewayspeople.com they have heaps of cheap gear at good prices. i just ordered an endeavor board for US$250…. not bad

Viewing 8 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register