Park Place Lodge

Nonstop Ski

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author
      andy
      Participant

Hi all,
      I’m sure some of you guys coming this year on the Nonstop course will have found this site. Have been working nuts off to get on this course, dont know about you lot but cant think of much else :D anybody done a season before? Any suggestions as to how much and what sort of stuff to bring, have a fair bit of skiing under belt but I mean 3-4 months from one suitcase, Also they reckon that about 1500 quid should be enough to buy gear and spending money for the course? Looks like it’s going to be a bumper year for snow early signs are good even in Europe, did Kitzbhuel last year at Xmas there was better conditions in the icebox of my fridge! Still we are not going to have that problem in Fernie eh?

See you all soon

Andy

chris w
      Participant

Hi Andy,

Yep im feeling the same as you, cant wait to get out to Fernie.

I did a season last year in Serre Chevalier (France) and took way to much stuff. Its not a problem when you get there as you can leave stuff under the bed out of the way. Its in the airport on the way in with mega heavy bags thats a bugger and even worse trying to fit all the new kit youve bought in to the same bags that were already full on the way out.

At least we get a decent baggage allowance. Last year I went with Ryanair and was allowed 15kg!! Sufice to say my board bag which had no weight limit was very very full.

Ive got a ‘seasonaires checklist’ that one of the lads from last year knocked up. If you want a copy let me know. There are some things on there that you wouldnt have normaly thought of.

Take it easy

Chris

dirk ter haar
      Participant

I think every body is thinking fernie 24/7, i am in the same position as andy, i have never done a season. one of my friends did a similar course out in Banff last year so i have been picking his brains to find out what i need. the main things i have picked up are that you just take all you normal skiing/boarding gear, extra warm clothing (he had days below -40C) but one thing that does not add up is that he recons that he spent about £2500 and he does not even drink!!
      I have already got most of my kit, i think i will just be buying thermal clothing out in fernie.

Dirk

andy
      Participant

Thanks Chris that list would be great can you send to homer_jay_sampson at yahoo.co.uk cheers. I think the travel light and take large suitcase for the return sounds like a plan. Will def be buying some new planks and a lid.

Dirk do you know if there were any beginners on that course last year as I am coming along with a mate of mine who has only had two weeks on skis?

I think the 1500 they reckon for money is way too conservative will take Dirks advice on that one and go for 2500.

Some of the stuff they have organised for us sounds really cool, looking forward to the backcountry stuff, tried it for the first time with proper lessons in Verbier this year, totally hooked. Also the volunteer thing for freestyle event sounds great, party at the end thrown in in for good measure, Have started to get 12 hours a night kip so I will have plenty in credit for the three months
      :lol:

elsie
      Participant

Hey guys, just a note on Fernie gear…the weather here is much different than Banff. It can vary as much as 20 degrees; you might have rain in January and minus 10 degrees in late March or April.

All this to say, ensure you bring clothing you can layer easily (add or subtract as required) and most importantly, MAKE SURE your outerwear is water proof (not water resistant – useless).

The reason Fernie gets such great powder is because the snow often flies just on the cusp of becoming rain; frequently it’ll be raining down below when the snow is flying in the bowls.
      Hope this is helpful.

dirk ter haar
      Participant

Andy in reply to you question about skiing ability: i don’t know exactly but the nonstopski people do say in the broshure (i’m dyslexic can’t spell) people should be intermediate to advanced. i’m sure it will not be a problem though as when you are a beginner you learn things quite quickly until you reach the intermediate plato.

andy
      Participant

Very true Dirk, anyway what he lacks in experience he more than makes up for in enthusiasm just thought it might be a bit of a problem when he first starts and has to try to keep up with a group, learn fast is the answer eh.

Cheers Elsie,
      always good to get some info from you locals, had some conflicting views when you hunt on the web for reviews on fernie, some rave about the powder and some say the weather and conditions were not fantastic sounds like very variable conditions stay more than a week and you wiil find that out. Come prepared we think

billy_soup
      Participant

Watching dome of the non-stopers last year, I think you can really come at any level. At the start of the year some could not even get on the chair. They got passed that pretty fast though, so I don’t think you need to worry too much about the ability level

dg
      Participant
      "Andy":2eq4kley wrote:
      Hi all,
      I’m sure some of you guys coming this year on the Nonstop course will have found this site. Have been working nuts off to get on this course, dont know about you lot but cant think of much else :D anybody done a season before? Any suggestions as to how much and what sort of stuff to bring, have a fair bit of skiing under belt but I mean 3-4 months from one suitcase, Also they reckon that about 1500 quid should be enough to buy gear and spending money for the course? Looks like it’s going to be a bumper year for snow early signs are good even in Europe, did Kitzbhuel last year at Xmas there was better conditions in the icebox of my fridge! Still we are not going to have that problem in Fernie eh?

See you all soon

Andy[/quote:2eq4kley]

I skied in Kitzbuel in February a number of years ago and we had to take three lifts until we could put our skies on. Lesson learned.. if you go to Europe, pick a resort thats above 10,000 feet :?

In Fernie be prepared to get up early on pow days cause everyone’ll be out there pinning for freshies!!!

Another reason to get up early is quite often it will be snowing when u wake up but it will be raining by noon down below.

andy
      Participant

Very true dg, trouble is you are heading towards glacier territory and i dont know about you but i prefer to have a few trees to avoid and some nice scenery, did verbier in march this year, it was stunning, great snow loads of backcountry (off piste to us brits) and the best apres anywhere and i speak from reasonable experience on that one :wink:
      looking forward to experiencing the canadian way of doing things do you guys have any traditional drinks on the hill like say gluvein in austria, that sort of thing? Also whats the apres like there, some places you go to just dont seem to do the come down from the hill go to a bar drink loads and listen to a really good band thing. I guess the fact that you have a large aussie contingent probably answers my question on that one eh :D

henry_bull
      Participant

Hi guys,
      I am coming on the fernie trip in a month and have been reading your messages and I noticed there is so much to think of! Like how much cash is everyone taking? And how much luggage? I am planing to take a coffin bag for my board and some clothes then another bag for th rest of my stuff. What date are all of you guys flying out and where from? Anyway 38 days to go till powder!!!! Take it easy
      Henry

jimmy
      Participant

Hey guys,
      I too am coming to Fernie in Jan, flying out with the NSS group on the 18th and staying on for 4 weeks after the course. In reply to Henry, I’m planning on taking the same amount of luggage as you, think i’ll be relying on the credit card while out there but still saving for my beer money !!!
      Take it easy guys, see you in the pow soon,
      Jimmy

dirk ter haar
      Participant

i’m going out on the 11th (yes that’s right less than a month to go). I’m taking a huge ski bag for 2 pairs of skis and clothing to pad out the bag because the handling staff at airports are not very gentil with bags. and another bigish bag for boots and other clothing.
      I would like to know whether people are taking mobiles. I have asked some of the locals and you can get a canadian SIM card and put that in your phone for local calls as long as you have got tri-band.

mcc
      Participant

I’ll be arriving on Boxing Day so not long now, Dick you will need to make sure your phone is unblocked to enable it to take a canadian SIM card, I’m with Vodaphone and it seems all the phones they provide are unblocked but If you are with Orange or Tmobile you will need to pay to have it unblocked.

See you all in FERNIE :D :D :D

dirk ter haar
      Participant

I was thinking of getting my self a fancy new camera phone so i can record all that powder and fun for the guys back home. So i’m going to get just the hand set and put my old SIM card in that. that way it shouldn’t be locked.
      (A quick not MCC it’s Dirk not Dick)

henry_bull
      Participant

Hi guys, I am planing to take a cell phone but I have a Quad band phone but I don’t now if that type works in canada! So a couple of you guys are going out quite a bit earlier than the start of the course, well all I say is you better show me some good tree lines wen I get there!! Getting a bit too much rain in the village at the mo but don’t think that will be the case wen weget there ( well lets hope!).
      Start waxing up your skis and boards not long now!!
      henry :P

big_john
      Participant

hay guys
      less than four weeks to go for the majority of us now. jus wodering what people were planning on bringing in the way of electrical goods. i’m going to bring my i pod, and video camera, other than that i’m going to leave the rest behind.

i don’t know about anyone else, but by the time e leave i’ll be so tired, i wont have sleped for a week knowing me. any way see you brits in 4 weeks, and any locals in 4 weeks and a day or two

john

jimmy
      Participant

John,
      I doubt I’ll be sleeping much in the next month…….who cares ? We’ll be in Fernie before you know it !

I will be taking the same electrics plus my camera, shouldn’t be needing much else (I hope).

Guess I’ll see you at the airport soon, take care

Jimmy

emma
      Participant

Hi, I’m Emma & I’m doing the 11 week instructor course, I arrived in Fernie a couple of weeks ago & at the moment there are only three of us in one of the nonstop houses. Is anybody coming out before the course starts ?? If there is anybody already here, let me know & we can meet for a beer/chat, be nice to get to meet some new people :D
      see you all soon & have a wikid Christmas !!!!

scott robinson
      Participant

Hi, I am Scott and I am already in Fernie with my wife Kathryn. We are also doing the 11 week course and have just got back from the hill after trying some of the new snow that is currently falling but it could still do with quite a bit more snow so that all those rocks and stones are covered.

Be good to meet up for a drink with those who are already out here, can anybody suggest a time and a place.

Scott and Kathryn

big_john
      Participant

hay guys
      happy new new year everyone, hope you all had a great night, weather you can remember it or not :wink: !
      not long to go now for most of us just 18 short days, i think i had better start planning what i’m going pack, tricky decsions have to be made.
      anyway see most of you on the 18th
      big john

mcc
      Participant

New Year was pretty good here in Fernie most of the eleven weekers already here went to the Central Bar and saw it in with a bang although its soooooo cold here!!!!! The walk home was crazy – frezzing our nuts off and there were guys just in tee shirts – good beer jackets I suppose.
      Just woken up and contempating going up the hill as it snowed overnight.

Hope you all had good New Year too and see you out here in 18.

Remeber your Thermals!!!!!

henry_bull
      Participant

Hi guys!
      11 long day dreaming days to go!!! The snow is falling over there and it dosn’t look like its stopping!!! More or less already packed which is bit worrying! Who is going to be at Heathrow at 10 on the 18th? Give us a shout if so.
      See you in 11!
      Henry :P :P

big_john
      Participant

hay guys,
      10 days to now, :D, hay henry i’ll be at heathrow, probably before 10 getting serriously excited now, nearly got everyrhing i need from here, just a few bits left to get before i leave, need to get a helmet goggles, and new poles (my brother borrowed mine to take to tignes, and snapped them on his first day, git). anyway, see u all at heathrow, in 9 days 23 hours 2 mins. :D :D .
      big john

henry_bull
      Participant

Hey there john, Can tell how excited you are by seeing the time you sent that message 3 in the morning!! I am also have to get a helmet and goggles but might as well get i over there you can prob. get a well nice shaun white red helmet over there for half of wat you would pay here!
      Anyway have to go and by some thermals.
      See you in 9 days, ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
      Henry :P

username
      Participant

Better double up on the Thermals. Today it was -22 celcius. with a wind chill of -40 celcius. Frost bite warming in effect.

henry_bull
      Participant

wat would be the perfect clothes setup when you are on the mountain?, one week till i arrive need to make sure i have the right type of clothes .

big_john
      Participant

at a gess, as much as possible, -40 is insane

Viewing 27 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register