Park Place Lodge

Mobile phones

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      marcingy
      Participant

Where can I buy a pay as talk mobile phone in Fernie.

Thanks

flyingecko
      Participant

Try JRT (in the Annex on 10th Ave and 14th St I think) or I believe 7-11 carries a few of them as well.

irishsnowboardchick
      Participant

cool can you just buy sim cards if you already have a phone? how much are they?

penguinboy
      Participant

A lot of North American cell phones don’t have SIM cards, as GSM isn’t as common here as in Europe.

While there are companies that provide North American GSM service, last I heard the coverage was spotty in Fernie. I don’t know if this is still the case. I use CDMA phones on the Telus network in Fernie with good results, and have no complaints about the coverage. These phones don’t use SIM cards though.

Also, if you are planning to use a European phone in North America, make sure it works on the North American frequencies.

I don’t know where you can find cheap, new SIM cards without a phone, but I know of folks that have picked them up on e-bay.

If you want a pay as you go phone for use in North America, your best bet may be simply to pick up a used North American phone, and buy pay as you go airtime locally. I saw a bunch of phones at http://vfxweb.com, I don’t know if these would meet your needs or not. Note that I am not affiliated with vfxweb in any way, just passing on one potential source of cheap used phones.

griz-boy
      Participant

I got a pay as u go Telus phone and the coverage is OK, but what gets me is its getting pretty expensive and if you don’t have a lan line then it could become really expensive! 20 cents a minute for local calls and 40 cents a minute for long distance. I t includes voice mail but you have to call in and retreive them so once you go through the prompt its hard to listen to 1 voice mail under a minute. Plus it not like they round anything down either. 1minute 1 second is 2 minutes. Blasted TELUS!!!

huckin eh
      Participant

Rogers is the only provider that works with Sim cards in their phones!
      I moved to Fernie last year and kept my Rogers service! As I have said before , I don’t seem to notice any coverage problems in Fernie! Get set up in Calgary though because there is no Rogers wireless store in Fernie itself. Maybe in Cranbrook but I have never been to it so Im not sure!

canatedian
      Participant

Buy a phone from Sev and have no complaints. And you can travel around prov/country and add pay ahead for your usage (Thrifty eh?). I’d cell you mine but I’ve downloaded all kinds of ringers and pics.
      Voice activation
      Free Received text message
      check out virginmobile.com
      I don’t work of frequent 7-11 either, I spend 50buck every two-three weeks. (Tones of musictones).

Viewing 6 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register