info fernie

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      deano
      Participant

Hi i lived in Fernie from 1975 to 1980 i have fond and happy memories of my time there.I moved back to England with my family when i was 10 years old now at 35 years old myself i have children of my own and one day i will come back to Fernie for a holiday.Love to hear from any one who reads this to tell me about the town now.I would like to trace any of the Holland family as i can remember them when i was a kid and any one who played hockey for the fernie pups 1977 to 79 that would be nice.
      Many thanks Dean Holden,Doncaster South Yorkshire, England

seasonsgreetings
      Participant

Hi Deano

I think you would find Fernie a very different place to what you left, however it is still (or is now, don’t know what it was like then) a wonderful place to be. I didn’t see it in the seventies so I can only tell you what it is like now.

The community has become a bit of a melting pot of old-timers, and young incomers, with a fairly even split between those involved in the mine, and those involved in tourism. The Sparwood mines are booming and last year we had an accommodation train parked in Fernie for most of the summer to house the extra workers. I’ve heard much grumbling in the ranks about how people get treated there, but they pay well (not as well as they used to though) so I guess they will always be able to find willing workers. Tourism has gone from strength to strength, with a huge terrain expansion on the ski hill and new high speed quad lifts. Fernie Alpine Resort (no longer Snow Valley) is truly international, with huge numbers of groups and individuals coming from the UK and other parts of Europe, Australia, South America and South Africa. A Greg Norman golf course is planned, but has been on hold while much procrastination goes on. Last summer was glorious and record numbers of visitors were reported. We have become a popular summer destination, although it is still a short season, really only July – September.

The downtown received a facelift for the centenary year, and is now a beautiful tree lined avenue. While crippling rents forced a few store closures, the past few months have seen some improvements. We have a huge new Grocery store on the edge of town, and Canadian Tire are due to build soon. Hopefully no wal-mart, but who knows?

The CL Salvador school closed down, and the Fernie Academy (Independant) is now growing in numbers each year. The high school has moved out to the very end of 2nd Ave, past the Isabella Dicken School, next to the golf course. The old yellow striped high school is due to be renovated into apartments, as is the CLS school. Housing is ridiculously expensive, prohibitively so for most people on low wages. Sparwood is becoming a satellite town of Fernie, with people moving there to avoid the high costs. A good proportion of houses sold these days go to Calgarians who consider Fernie their weekend playground. Rotary park will receive a facelift next year.

The Ghostriders have done an amazing about-face. Last year, we thought we would no longer have a team as they had done so badly. They they received a place in the KJHL (Kootenay Junior Hockey League) and have so far won all but one home game this season. Last week they played to a sold-out crowd, and support for the team is again on the rise. Fernie has become a mecca for artists and artisans, we have a pottery store and an arts co-op, the old railway station was moved and renovated and is now the Arts Station. The coal train continues to call it’s haunting melody as it passes through town. I know people come back just to hear it, and it is a sound I will never forget if I do ever leave.

The mountains and River are still as beautiful as ever, and surround the town making it feel like we live in our own little world. I think Fernie is growing up, but more than anything there is a wonderful youthful feeling here. Fernie-ites love their town, and really live it. While I havn’t seen any ski-doo tracks down 2nd Ave, there’s still penty around on the quieter street. I don’t think Fernie will ever loose it’s cheeky grin. I’m sure there’s less children now than when you lived here, but there are lots of very young families now, who obviously feel there is no other place to raise your kids.

Y’all come back now!

czar from afar
      Participant

SG,

Nice post…you are a poet.

seasonsgreetings
      Participant

Czar,

Thank you. Fernie has its faults like any other place, but I could easily say this is my most favourite place to live of the 12 towns, cities and ski resorts I have called home. The people might grumble, but they do it with a smile, and the general feeling is one of excited contentment. You might not make your millions here, but there’s nowhere you will feel richer.

localmom
      Participant

Yup Fernie was a terrific place to raise children. I came in ’89 with two under the age of 3. I am relieved I don’t have to raise youngens here now. Ever notice that there are no kids playing road hockey, or using the baseball diamonds or playing in the park anymore? When they graduate high school the only real post secondary school option is hundreds of kilometers away. They have to leave home and town just to get a decent education. I made sure to take my kids on holidays out of town. Big cities for example , just to expose them to ethnic and economic diversity, career choices and public transportation !
      Me ? I’ve done my time, I’m getting out.

seasonsgreetings
      Participant

Localmom,

I’m sorry you had such a bad time in Fernie, something obviously put you off the small town feeling that exists here.
      I grew up in a place even smaller, less socially and culturally diverse and even more remote than Fernie, and I say a silent thank you to my parents every day for moving me as a two year old from a big city, to a place where I was free to roam and express myself.
      We made regular trips to various cities so my brothers and I could experience “life’s rich tapestry” of museums, sporting & cultural events and big city atmosphere. We ate in expensive restaurants, and stayed in nice hotels. Movies and McDonalds were a twice-a-year special treat, instead of the weekly event that now seems to be the norm. Riding on a bus or in a taxi was a huge excitement. But after a few days I couldn’t wait to get in the car and go home, where we didn’t need to lock our doors and I could wander the hills to my heart’s content. Kids need to be kids, and to me that means riding your bike for miles, building remote mountain fortresses and climbing trees. In other words, free stuff that builds the imagination and encourages the spirit. Public transport and careers are for adults, and yes that might mean moving away, but Fernie is full of young people who came back pretty damn quick.
      I don’t know why there are so few kids in the parks. It puzzles me too. Maybe they are all out mountain biking, skiing, fishing or off for a day at the lake. Street hockey? Still see that a lot in the annex in the summer, and plenty of hoops up on garage doors.
      I hope one day you will come back and see how wonderful it is here, breathe the clean air instead of the pollution and walk down the street without worrying about your bag being stolen.

princess
      Participant

I think Fernie is still an amazing place to raise kids. I have a little one and we find tons to do here, there is swimming, kindergym, going to the river, parks, lakes. My son was out fishing with me almost as soon as he was born!! sure theres lots in the city to do but you also can’t turn your back for a second even when the kids are in the backyard, here kids have way more freedom. I will not move from this amazing town, there is so much to experiance. I came from some what of a city 5 years ago and I had never gone hiking or fishing or enjoyed anything except the fast pace, cell phones, and malls. i came here and at first I was disgusted as I thought there was a lack of things to do but there is more and it is way better for you. And I believe my son will thank me for raising him in such a wonderful place.

moke
      Participant

Hey,

I love Fernie, but like everybody else sometimes i get fed up with it and have to get out of the valley…every time without fail, as soon as i hit the first traffic light in Calgary, or wherever….i want to turn around and come back….and no matter where i go or how long i am gone for, i realize that Fernie has got something special that holds people here, and that this is my home…You only have to go anywhere to realize that Fernie is way better than most places to live.

On the other hand, i recently read some information about teen drug use/alcohal use/ sexual activity/and abuse.. and such, and was shocked to find out that the east kootenays leads, or is at the top in almost every single category, yep, the east kootenays is up there with the downtown east side in vancouver, and victoria for almost everything like daily drug use, witness to abuse, sexually transmitted diseases, teen pregnancy…almost every category had the kootenays at or near the top… Now i am not saying that this is a lousy place to raise a kid, on the contrary, i agree with princess, but to all those parents out there, i hope you keep a close eye on your kids, and give them lots of love, kids need their parents to guide them and keep them safe from all the shit that IS out there in our community.. pay attention.. and keep your kids safe.

deano, i am sure this does not really apply to your question, but kinda Fernie is still part rough and tumble mining town, and part mountain vacation paradise..

it kicks ass over anywhere else on the planet….

princess
      Participant

I totally agree moke!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register