Park Place Lodge

FERNIE – DOG POOP CAPITAL OF THE KOOTENAYS

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      me_stupid2
      Participant

I’m new in fernie. It will be my third year living here starting in May. Of the many places I have lived, none seem to come close to Fernie in the amount of dog poop that is on the walking areas. Sides of roads, trails, sidewalks, parks, and even parking lots are disgustingly littered with it. It’s not just "the usual" amount that you would expect in certain areas. No, its equal to or greater than the amount of litter that is often seen. For example I walked 3 blocks in one neighborhood and, no lie, there wasn’t more than 6ft distance between "piles" for the entire 3 blocks. And this wasn’t in the ditch. This was right along the side of the street where you normally walk or bike on the pavement. Makes for a pleasant evening stroll doesn’t it?

Fernie is a beautiful town in a beautiful area. This, then, is where I am perplexed. Is it Fernie citizens who let their dogs do their business without cleaning it up? Is it tourists? Or pehaphs dogs are let out on their own to do their business? Is there a greater dog-to-human population in Fernie than in other areas? What is the bylaw in fernie on this? How can we get more cooperation so that when myself, or anyone for that matter, goes out for a bike ride, we don’t have to put on fenders just to keep the stuff off us? Or so that we don’t have to check our shoes every time we get back from a walk?

I like dogs, I like people, and I like Fernie, and I like to get outside and not worry about dodging "land mines." What can we do to improve?

-Devon

cs86
      Participant

I’m with you on this, and I have frequently complained on the ourfernie website about this issue, to no avail. There is a bylaw in Fernie that dogs MUST be kept on a leash, which is rarely adhered to, and as well, you MUST pick up after your dog, which is equally disregarded. I feel that these two issues go hand-in-hand. I have seen people take their dogs out without a leash and the dogs are either 30 ft ahead of the owner, doing their own thing, or trailing 30 ft behind. How are you keeping an eye on your dog’s business if you can’t even see where they are? I have watched out my window as a dog walks into my yard, takes a crap, and then walks away. About a minute or two later, his owner comes walking down the street completely unaware (or so it seems) that his dog just dumped in my yard. I think that the bylaws need to be enforced a lot better than they are now. I have never once seen the bylaw officer while I’m taking my dogs for walks. So who, then, is supposed to be reinforcing the leash and poop laws? To take matters into my own hands, when I see a dog take a dump and the owner doesn’t pick it up, I outright ask them, "Are you going to pick that up?". The usual response is "I don’t have a bag", which is a poor excuse. How hard is it to take a fricken plastic bag in your pocket when you leave the house? They sell these dog-bag dispensers now that are quite compact and you can clip them on your dog’s leash (provided you actually use a leash). I usually lend them a bag if I have one, or I tell them they should clean it up anyways. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t, but I hope that by asking them, they are at least embarassed or maybe it will clue them in that they SHOULD be cleaning upafter their dog. Anyway, that is my rant, feel free to correct me if you feel my opinions are wrong.

young_local
      Participant

I don’t think that your feelings are wrong. And let me state that I do not own a dog, and I do not walk a dog. I would however pick it up if i did, but not because I think it’s the right thing to do.. because I know other people appreciate it and it’s a bylaw. But I must say, if we are trying to be green and responsible, why are we using plastic bags every time to pick up our dogs crap… I mean, it will be gone in a couple days anyways, but that plastic lasts forever. If we’re trying to reduce our footprint.. pick up your dogs crap with a garden tool or rock or stick or something, and throw it in the bushes… that would save on having to use a plastic bag every time. The only problem I have is when people let their dogs run on the soccer fields around the schools. I actively play soccer and it’s just not a good time if you slide for the ball and wind up with something other than dirt on your leg. :lol:

admin
      Keymaster

Young_local is a wealth of good information.

Keep those skid marks in your underwear and off the soccer fields!

stewart101
      Participant

Barkside has an excellent alternative (for reducing ecological footprint AND not getting dog dung all over your favourite gardening tools) – biodegradable dog poop bags! Definitely agree with the issue at hand though, nothin like coming home from a rainy bike ride only to find that the mud streak on your back isn’t 100% mud…yum.

bobo
      Participant

I’m sorry, but people who fret about dog poop and poop in general have way too much time on their hands. Poop is biodegradable. There’s way worse, ( man made) stuff out there, that’s way more dangerous than dog poop. Yes, it is unsightly, but in the grand scheme of things, it’s harmless. Get a life.

admin
      Keymaster

Ya, kinda like bad music – harmless, unless YOU have to listen to it.

Disrespectful owners of innocent dogs SUCK!

mikes
      Participant
      gavitron
      Participant

I dont own a dog mostly because I have no desire to clean up after one, yet every time I do yard work in my own yard, I’m cleaning up after them. As far as I’m concerned the dog owners might as well do their business on my lawn as well because its just as disrespectful. Judging by their total disregard and ignorance, Im left to assume this is something they would actually do. Funny thing is I know which dogs are doing it, yet have never seen an owner in site. I guess they let their dog out with a "out of sight, out of mind" attitude. Im also left to believe that they think cleaning up after a dog isn’t even an issue as dogs are decent animals and don’t sh*t where they eat.

PS- Is it the dog poop thread time of year again ALREADY?

ferniefrosty
      Participant

Is dog excrement harmless….hmmm well that depends.
      I am always surprised at the number of dogs roaming the neighbourhood and depositing their waste indiscriminately. I thought having a dog was about getting outdoors for healthy exercise and being with mans best friend. Luckily the roaming dogs I have come across have been friendly, however, I’m always a bit hesitant when unfamiliar dogs approach me and my two year old twins and there is no owner anywhere to control the dog.
      I must also mention an incident last Summer when I was towing my charriot with my then 18 month old babies. Unbeknown to me a large, rancid dog poo had flicked up off my back wheel and landed on my babies covering them and their drink bottles in excrement. Their screams and my retching as I tried to clean it off them with baby wipes was something I’d wish to forget. So harmless, nope! There isno excuse for dog poo on walkways or paths, just hoof it outa the way if you can’t pick it up. Get your own dogs poo on your own shoes and then see how much fun and harmless it is!!

gumbootgal
      Participant

Wow maybe we should just get rid of dogs all together and ban them in Fernie ??? Really, this is crazy- Yes- I have a dog, Yes- I scoop crap when I walk it in town, Yes- I do think dog owners should be responsible for the crap- but this post is becoming "crappy"………

mikes
      Participant

The thing I’m finding really annoying lately, besides other peoples dogs shitting in my yard, is on garbage day. Our neighbourhood in West Fernie puts their garbage out in Wednsday, and like clockwork, this ugly, shaggy ,off white, lab"ish",looking dog goes around knocking garbage cans over and ripping into the bags. Spreading garbage all over the place, and sometimes just grabbing a bag and running off with it. But. Now he’s even on the prowl before garbage day, knocking over garbage cans and stealing the contents. I’m a dog owner, and I know where my dogs are at every second of their lives. When I don’t know where they are I’m out looking for them, but not knowing where they are is the exception , not the rule (ie.high snow years) it does get to be a bit much when I go to throw the ball for my dogs in my back yard and I’m stepping in other peoples dogs shit. So now I’ve bought one of them soft air guns, and it’s working wonders, dogs are really fast learners, and it doesn’t take them long to learn it really hurts getting shot in the ass with one while bent over trying to do your business in someone elses yard. Maybe instead of sending mom and pop weed growers to jail, we should be sending irresponsible dog owners to jail! Manditory minimums for them! Oh and since we’re ranting, if my BBQ gets pissed on one more time, I might black out, and go mental.

quinner
      Participant

People who KNOWNINGLY don’t pick up their dogs shit are either lazy, arrogant (becuase they dont think THEIR dog needs to be picked up after) rude or just a moron. Pick it up, and get rid of it yourself. There are responsibilities with having a dog, even a kid knows that. When I step in dog sh*t, my first thought isnt "Oh dog sh*t! I don’t mind cuz it’s biodegradable" I think, like any other normal person "Great, I have sh*t on my shoe because someone is either too lazy to clean it up, or someone didn’t tie up their dog!"

edwin
      Participant

i have a stretch of a request….
      can a few ppl who choose not to pick-up after their dogs respond to this topic?
      i think we could alll understand them alot better with some insight to their choice.
      let us know why you have a pet. why you ignore their feces. just in general, why their choice of being to posh-to-pick.
      thanks

boardstorm
      Participant

I doubt anyone is actually going to own up to not picking up after their dog. It would be like publicly declaring yourself a lazy a**hole. I think we can just all agree that it is really not that hard to pick up after your dog. Like previously stated, it’s part of being a dog owner. Sh*t happens, so pick it up!!!

gagbandit
      Participant

Hmm well I know one of the prevous posts suggesting that we simply ban dogs in Fernie was made in jest. If however the behaivour of irresponsible dog owners continues why not ?I am not a dog owner. I like dogs but I don’t own one – mainly because of the work and responsibility involved. My lot is regularly soiled with dog shit. I regularly see dogs being walked, many times unleashed, crapping as dogs do, and the owner simply keeps walking along and doesn’t pick it up. So I believe that Fernie residents should not have to put up with this kind of behaivour. If it continues – why not ban dogs? If owners want the the right to own dogs, then they should be responsible for them or revoke the right to own them. Simple. Why should anyoe else have to put up with this? I find the city woefully irrespnsible in enforcing the by-law as well.

mikes
      Participant

I see Calgarians come to Fernie, sit in the McDonalds parking lot, open there car door and start unloading garbage onto the concrete. I see Calgarians filling up with gas at 7-11, open their car doors and unload garbage right onto the concrete parking lot. I’m riding my bike down the highway, and someone with Albertian plates (assuming Calgarian) throws a mostly drank slurpy drink right out her window, directed at my head, laughing. Lets ban Calgarians! I know some people have suggested this in jest, but seriously, why don’t we ban Calgarians???

gagbandit
      Participant

Hi Mikes

I have a better idea – and you won’t have to go through the bother, time and effort convincing city council to pass it.

Why don’t you keep espousing hatred for vistors even louder than you do…maybe establish a website devoted to it. Make sure as many people as you can convince become haters of visitors. Travel the parking spots along the river, and when you see an alberta visitor license slash the tires. At night, get liquourd up and with your friends stalk people walking around town and randomly assault them ( oh and do the job right and make sure you send them to hospital ! ). Make fernie as toxic as you can for visitors and you will get what you want without all the bother of city council having to pass a "ban Calgarians law".

Oh and do make sure that you continue to spew hatred on public web forums. Ths is extremly effective at getting your messgae out. These are read my many prospective visitors and its a very effective way to get your message accross – I would say its one of the best ways to damage Fernie’s reputation and establish it as one of not welcoming. …That way you will create the image of Fernie that you envision. Oh and by the way – once you’ve accomplished your goals of firmly establishing the reputation of not welcoming, hate, tourist un-freindly , ensure that you are at the front of the line complaining about the declining local business environment. All the local business owners will be very thankful to you for helping them and repesenting their interest as they sink for lack of customers.

B.T.W. – there was another dogshit on my lawn this morning… and thats what this thread was supposed to be about before you highjacked it to promote your agenda. Thats ok though because its all about you. Keep up the hatred and the good work of damaging Fernie’s reputation – your very good at it.
      Your newest fan – gagbandit.

mikes
      Participant

gagbandit, I assumed (I can see I was wrong) you would be able to handle a little sarcasm. My point wasn’t to bash Calgarians, I was trying to show how stupid your post was! By saying we should ban dogs because of a few poopers, is as stupid as saying we should ban Calgarians because of a few litter bugs. After reading your last post, I come to realize you might be on edge. Nice rant though! LOL. Calm down and go clean up that dog poop on your lawn, and I’ll go clean up the garbage your friends left. Next time I post, I dumb it down for you. I wouldn’t want you to have an anurism debating yourself to death. Good times though…. I guess thats why you come "to the country" though… to mellow out from the city… you don’t seem very mellow though.. I appologize for your confusion… You can blame me for your stupidity though… I wasn’t very clear… So here you go, I’ll say it dumb downed for you,

Geez gagbandit, I don’t think we should ban dogs because a few dog owners aren’t picking up their dogs poop. I think it would be better to shame them into cleaning it up, so the rest of the responsible dog owners can keep owning dogs. We shouldn’t let a few wreck it for the many.. Don’t you agree?

there… you get it now?

gagbandit
      Participant

Mikes

Sarcasm "is the use of words to damage the reputation of, or hurt, another person. It is a sharp, bitter, or cutting expression or remark; a bitter jibe or taunt."

Yes please forgive my stupidity, how might I have known? As outrageous as my post may have been, I missed the connection between this thread about irresponsible dog owners, and your "Lets Ban Calgarians" "Calgarians eat at McDs and dump their garbage ….", "Calgarians throw slurpees from motor vehicles at bicyclists and laugh" posting. Well heck, your posting didn’t even mention dogshit…only Albertans and Calgarians! How blind of me, I really should have made the connection…and ignored the apparent message.

b.t.w. Litterbugs are not my friends.

Mikes – Thank you for your concern about a possible anurism on my part. Fortunatly, I’ve had a home in Fernie for years and my heart is much stronger for it – its always a good workout running from the Calgarian haters…and a great stress reliever watching them back peddle – keeps my heart young. Like I said …keep up the good work… I had a feeling you wouldn’t let me down……oh was this thread about dogshit ?

rednck
      Participant

mikes – you summed up gagbandit’s reaction quite well, "edge".

Lots of Calgarians are on edge these days from the stress of big-city-life and also defensive from criticism and not being liked by anyone outside of Calgary.

We in BC expecially don’t like em due to having screwed up our communities by gobbling up our real estate with their dirty tar-sands money.

Even Toronto folk are more appreciated these days!

fernielocal101
      Participant

I often find myself agreeing with Mikes on his threads… and I do once again…

I thought the comparison about dogs pooping on the lawns of our home and Calgary folk throwing garbage and leaving was great…
      Although it would be easier to just say the red plates to the same thing… come, shit on our doorstep then leave… to come back about once a month and do it all over again… might be a different breed but hey, same shit different pile….

… dogs don’t go around assuming their shit is awesome and that everyone loves it and needs it, sure it will turn into fertilizer eventually but my grass is green enough… I don’t “need” them here,
      As far as locals stalking the “out of towners and beating them” well on the occasions I heard about, of the Calgary boys should have kept their hands to themselves… no means no in this town…. bad dogs get put down when they don’t listen…

Now to Address the real thread here…. fine the owners and use the fines to pay for enforcement… if they don’t get caught… well, shit happens… just be careful when you run the mower over that spot..

Viewing 21 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register