Coal Creek hit by litter bugs

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      snowvalley
      Participant

Burned out cars and abandoned tires litter the landscape. Beer bottles cover the ground and an abandoned snow-covered mattress lies undisturbed.

This isn’t the dump Рit is Coal Creek.

“I really didn’t expect it to be this bad,” said Jim Thorner, Land Superintendent for Tembec, who is visiting the area for the first time this spring. “Some of the old timers in town, if they saw this, would probably be aghast.

“We’ve actually had meetings about shutting it all down and not allowing anybody in anymore because it’s just getting so bad. Unfortunately, and this has happened before, people just break the locks and the gates and go and do whatever they want anyway.”

Thorner argues that while shutting down the roads that lead past the dump and into Coal Creek might deter a few people, there is too much historical significance here to be denied.

Conservation officer Frank deBoon agrees and does his best to try and not point any fingers.

“Some people like to blame out-of-towners or people from Alberta, but the truth is that it is as much a local issue as it is a tourism issue. It’s something that we all need to do and help out with because if we don’t, then it will continue to be a bigger and bigger problem and we just don’t have the budget to fix it all ourselves.”

DeBoon is flabbergasted at the notion that with a dump not 10 minutes away, how people could be so incredibly careless.

“It seems so simple to me. Sometimes the landfill is closed and people drive out here just to dump stuff and then drive back. It’s baffling.”

A stray piece of plywood lies on the ground in the distance. Spray painted on one side is the word ‘Evolve’.

He laughs: “Not likely.”

by Mike Bull

young_local
      Participant

Brutal. Once again a small group of people ruin it for the rest of us… It is both locals (in this area, I would think it is mainly locals) and nonlocals. But this is a common place for high school students to party, or at least it used to be… It wasn’t too long ago when I was in highschool, and I think they do the same thing now- coal creek is the last party of the school year, the "honking party" where grads (with the help of dd’s) drive around fernie and wake up all you old folk to celebrate a safe end to their high school. You guys started it many years ago, and it’s a great tradition… but it’s time for someone to step up and do some clean-up after the party. Out of our 70 some odd grads, 25 or so show showed up to coal creek the day after our big party to clean the place up. This years grads need to start doing that again.

adventuresource
      Participant

Check out the mess in the nature Conservancy area in Morrissey. I’ve cleaned up most of it but still not done out there. Somebody dumped parts of a car and some snowmobiles I can’t haul out.

csch
      Participant

…and somebody did an "oil-change" behind Maiden Lake.
      What is wrong with people!!!!!!
      Huge forum about dog poo, but what about littering and "car maintenance" in the woods!!!!!!

gimpyfishmedia
      Participant

You may be saying that its the grad year end party why it is a mess. well its not because we had our party a week and a half ago. so i thought i would just clear the grads for being blamed for this horrible problem.

csch
      Participant

Check the date that was posted. I am sure Snow Valley didn’t mean the grad party

gimpyfishmedia
      Participant

oh ya i know i meant young local just how he was mentioning the grad party when he was in school but ya… im just saying but thank you, and if im correct i was driving on coal creek road and i remeber seeing people driving out of there

Viewing 6 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register