Changes to FAR

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      czar from afar
      Participant

Hello all,

Do any of you locals know about ski preparation work that has been done on the hill over the summer? Any new runs, or alders cleared? Any lift improvements? Enhancements to the terrain park?

Thanks in advance.

griz-boy
      Participant

I haven’t heard of any yet. I would love to get a couple lifts updated if not three or four. I say leave the Haul Back its a classic.

Season pass rates went up is that considered an enhancement?

czar from afar
      Participant

Thanks GB,

I guess I was hoping for big news, like 24-hour snow-making on Skydive or a slide-ride down the face of Polar Peak ;)

I like haul-back as well, but it sure complicates trips into Cedar – three lifts to get back onto Snake Ridge. Some of the best runs are over there.

My dream: expansion into Fish Bowl, with a lift that runs right up the spine of the ridge between Fish and Cedar. That would open up the top of both bowls to true bowl skiing. Haul-back would remain in place to drag your tired legs out after a morning of 3-4 screaming runs – one of the few potentially exceptional peak-to-valley runs at Fernie.

The lift sure would ruin my favourite summer hike, though.

Any other “dream” improvements out there?

lk
      Participant

I think it is fine the way it is stop bitching :D

anonymous
      Participant

i agree, leave Fernie the way it is

username
      Participant

Most of the improvements last year and this year will not be noticed by the general public. Things like major snow making upgrades and upgrades in the retail shop. There is one new run in Curry Bowl close to the 123’s .And oh ya they cut down all those little cedars at the very bottom by the bus pickup! And are in the process of covering the creek running beside the old shop and putting in a culvert. Now thats progress.

czar from afar
      Participant

Thanks, username.

What were the snow-making upgrades?

username
      Participant

The snow making upgrades will not improve the ski hill but will generate numbers for the office in Calgary. All the snow guns will now all be connected to one main computer. This computer does not control the snow gun but gathers information from it. Things like water used ,air temps, water temps, hours on/off, water pressure, etc etc etc. The other new improvement is a steel bridge where Giggly’s Guly meets Deer Trail. On that sharp left corner. Also the Boomerang Chair gets a new Haul Rope. So any threats of reduced capacity there are over. Oh and you’ll like this…. Weather tower at the top of Polar Peak. And a major..major upgrade to the Daylodge. You won’t reconize it. Big deck and all the works.

czar from afar
      Participant

Thanks Username,

You sure know your hill.

BTW, I spoke with an RCR rep at the Toronto ski show on the weekend. It doesn’t look like there will be any territory expansions anytime soon. Lift upgrades are possible, though not imminent. Right now, both are seen as appropriate for the volume level.

I see that this will be good news for some.

Let it snow…

Viewing 8 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register