Park Place Lodge

Cell phone coverage?

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      rpugsley
      Participant

Does anyone in Fernie have cell phone service with Roger AT&T?
      If so do you have any major complaints about the coverage as compared with the much more popular Telus network???

tigermilk
      Participant

I’ve been a Rogers subscriber all over Canada, and I have never had a signal as strong as I have in Fernie. Absolutely no problems. It’s a GSM network though, and there is a dead zone between Fernie and Cranbrook, and Crowsnest Pass and Calgary (along highway 22). But then again, you should talk while you drive :oops:

se
      Participant

Contrary to tigermilk’s response, I would like to inform you that the Telus Mobility network is your best bet for cellular in Fernie. It is a CDMA network and it is built for coverage, not density, which is what we need with our mountains. The Morrissey Ridge tower is straight across from the ski hill and you can pretty much get coverage all over the hill…Rogers…no. There is one 10 minute deadspot just passed Elko and from there on in, the service is fabulous. Telus Mobility also covers right through the Crowsnest Pass as well due to a couple of towers up at Greenhills. The reason Telus Mobility is the popular network is because they have excellent coverage in smaller centres, as well as highway stretches when the terrain allows it.

rna
      Participant

I live in Canyon Trail and can’t get reception on my Rogers phone unless I walk outside.

tigermilk
      Participant

I didn’t know that this was a competition…I was merely stating MY experience, and as I’ve had ZERO problems in two years using my cellphone IN FERNIE (full reception everywhere I go) and crystal-clear reception, even with international calls. I’ve had a Telus account prior to Rogers moving into the valley, and was not nearly as happy. Their customer service is, and has been publicly reported, as lack-lustre at best.

Also, if you open up an account with Rogers, the company will provide you with complimentary bi-weekly laundry and housekeeping service, as well as a free Porsche. How’s that for competition…

uofregina
      Participant

What about ON the ski hill with rogers??
      Thanks

se
      Participant

tigermilk, tigermilk, tigermilk…we are all just stating our opinions and experiences in order to help the original author of this string. no use in getting your knickers all in a twist and contradicting yourself! anyway, i’ve trained and worked for both rogers att&t AND telus and am extremely familiar with the coverage and the tower placement and whatnot. an industry fave is definately telus mobility for the coverage, particularly in smaller centres and fringe areas. but that’s just MY experience! i also do my own laundry and cleaning and own my own car so i don’t require those extra perks – plus i’d rather sacrifice those things for great coverage. :)

tigermilk
      Participant

se…I hope my sarcasm was not lost on you; however, please continue fighting the good fight.

Forums are fun…

andy
      Participant

Hi, am coming over for the season can you buy pay as you go mobiles? if so is there a shop in fernie dont really want to sign up for a contract

Cheers

se
      Participant

andy…you can buy a pay as you go cell phone at the local telus mobility shop – there is only one in town. there are no rogers att&t dealers in the valley (hhmmm fancy that, huh tigermilk?) as they’ve all closed down and/or quit dealing with rogers and bell mobility doesn’t offer a pay as you go. just ask around and you’ll be directed to the local telus mobility shop. tigermilk…your sarcasm wasn’t lost on me but as it is the lowest form of humour, i choose not to respond to it. it’s healthier to be happy and have a sense of humour. :)

tigermilk
      Participant

Sounds to me like your in bed with Telus…How much are they paying you? I’ll double it? Or then again, maybe I should save my money to buy a new sense of humour… :wink:

andy
      Participant

Thanks se much appreciated.

rpugsley
      Participant

Thanks Tigermilk and se for the debate though I don’t know if I am any closer to a decision. I just moved here and will be changing my number soon to a local number. Since I only use cellphones I want to make sure I make the right choice. I am currently a Rogers subscriber and my contract runs out in March 05. Then I will be a free agent of sorts. the only complaints I have so far about the coverage was when I was in The Fernie! everywhere else in town I have had no problems. I haven’t tried the ski hill yet. I also want something that will work well in the backcountry while skinning around on tours.
      Tigermilk, do you know anyone other locals who are on the Rogers network??? Do they have any complaints.
      My gut tells me to try Rogers out for a while and see what happens. then I don’t have to by a new phone or commit to a provider for several years again!

sparkes
      Participant

Telus does pay and talk (which is what I do) and that way you don’t have to commit to any contracts. you can also get a pay and talk and pre-pay for evenings and weekends. Oh and I don’t think any phone is exactly “great” at the hill or in the back country. Its all kind of touch and go the farther you get.

dg
      Participant

i’m with Telus and have never had any problems. I have been at the top of White Pass lift and bottom of Cedar bowl and have had perfect conversation. My phone is 6 years old too.

dirk ter haar
      Participant

hi there this is question for all you locals:
      (it is about cell phones which over here in england we call mobiles so where i write mobile just fill in cell phone)
      I am told that one can put any SIM card into and phone what ever the nationality, so i was planning on getting my self a canadian SIM card when i come over. my question is, what kind of network system do you have and which is the best/cheapest network?
      Over here we have have about 6 main networks that are similar in cost and service.

huckin eh
      Participant

The only Canadian providers that operate on a GSM / GPRS network that uses SIM cards are Rogers Wireless and Fido. Fido is now owned by Rogers!. Fido is only a viable option if you plan to spend most of your time in a major city. So really, Rogers is your only option! One thing you will have to cosider is wheather your Service Provider in the UK has locked your phone so that it only works on their network no matter who puts a SIM card in there.
      I went to Australia last year and intended to do the same thing but Rogers had locked the phone out from accepting any non-Rogers SIM cards. the best way to unlock your phone without paying an arm and a leg is to go to a search engine like Google and type ” unlock GSM “. you will find an outfit that can unlock your phone for about $20-$40.
      However, it seems as though the general consensus of this thread is that Telus has better coverage in and around Fernie and that would require you to buy a phone from them!
      Hope this helps!

griz-boy
      Participant

One thing to consider is that Telus has the worst customer service hands down! And it’s not a isolated problem. I think everybody knows about it even the CRTC.

You should at least know this since you will be new to BC.

dirk ter haar
      Participant

Thanks for that very helpful info, i will look into it.
      Does Fernie have any shops that would sell Rogers SIM cards or would i have to get one in Calgary when i arive?

huckin eh
      Participant

Tell me about it!
      I have been calling them a lot as I have been thinking of switching to their network. Their voicejail system is horrible!
      I had to scream at it today!
      I am thinking twice that for sure!

tigermilk
      Participant

It had to happen…

…all this talk about cell phones (mobiles) and I’ve gone a lost mine! After a long and crystal-clear coversation with a friend back east while cleaning the fresh powder off my car, my phone must have slipped from my pocket and into the snowy abyss last night. I call and call, and nobody answers. I perk my head up, every now than then to listen for the faint call of my ringtone. I haven’t been able to find it.

Called Rogers customer service tonight to put a hold on the phone and got through within seconds. Very pleasant rep too…

I purchased my (AWOL) phone in Cranbrook two years ago and have used it all over Fernie and the Ski Hill. Never was the reception compromised, and the signal strength was at peak or one bar less than peak each and everytime that I used it. It could have just been this particular phone, as I opted for the cheaper Nokia “tank” (as I have had three other Nokia models in the past and have been extremely pleased). No need to take pictures of a cloud and send them half-way to Istanbul for this guy…

When I first moved to Fernie I did have an account with Telus, after purchasing one of those old school Startac models which were, undoubtedly, the first ever flip-phone (Analog display and everything). I wasn’t too impressed with the service or the phone and ended up cancelling the contract. I swtiching back to Rogers when I heard that they were moving into the area. I even gave that phone away for free; however, I was willing to pay someone to take it off my hands (that’s how much I disliked it).

From that moment on I have been with Rogers, without incident.

If I cannot find my phone I will definately buy another Nokia, because they can take a beating. I will also stay with Rogers. I took this (unfortunate) opportunity to compare the two companies and what kind of plans they offer, and for what I needed and was subscribing for with Rogers, it’s little more expensive with Telus ($30 versus $50). This makes me feel a little better, even though I’m lost without my phone…

Oh, phoney…phone homey…

le Tigre-milk

username
      Participant

GEEZ?!?

dirk ter haar
      Participant

I put my question to you guys again does fernie have a mobile shop or will i have to get a sim card in Calgary :?:” title=”Question” />

huckin eh
      Participant

I think your best bet is to get one in Calgary!
      Im not sure if you can get one at the airport or not but there definitely is no Rogers kiosk or outlet in Fernie. Not sure about Cranbrook either

Viewing 23 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register