Park Place Lodge

Bill Bennett resignation On Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      tpb
      Participant

B.C. Liberal MLA Bill Bennett’s resignation from cabinet over a controversial e-mail to a Fernie-area man caused a stir in the town on Tuesday.

“Certainly, it’s the buzz around town right now. Lots of people’s phones are ringing off the hook,” Fernie Mayor Randal Macnair said in a phone interview Tuesday evening.

“There are some folks, I would say, who are surprised and sympathetic [toward Bennett] and some who are not,” the mayor said.

The provincial minister of state for mining lost his job Tuesday after it came to light that he’d fired off an angry and insulting e-mail to Maarten Hart, the head of Fernie’s rod and gun club, who had earlier accused Bennett of favouring big-money game hunters over ordinary locals.

In the controversial missive sent a week ago from a BlackBerry, Bennett called Hart “dumb.” Bennett also wrote that he didn’t “give a “shit” about Hart’s opinions because he was American.

Macnair said the tone of the e-mail, and its anti-American sentiment, has touched a nerve with many Fernie residents, particularly those who are new to B.C. and Canada.

“I think anyone who is an immigrant is stung by this. They feel that this is a country that is built on people from other places.

“Really, with the exception of first nations, we all came from other places,” Macnair said.

He added that Hart is a committed member of the Fernie community and should not be made to feel unwelcome because he was born in another country.

Describing Bennett as “outspoken” and someone who “doesn’t pull his punches,” Macnair said he’s had his own run-ins with the provincial politician in the past. Specifically, the two faced off in heated debates over the government’s plan to tap coalbed methane in the region.

Macnair said the debates were “intense, but not disrespectful. . . . He never sent me an e-mail like this.”

Macnair said Bennett’s absence from the provincial cabinet table will no doubt be felt in Fernie and throughout the constituency, but predicted the politician will rebound from his current career setback and “continue working hard for our community as he always has.”

-FROM THE NATIONAL POST

spicky
      Participant

Well, my opinion is MR. Hart is a pompous, know-it-all ASS and right or wrong, I have no problems that Mr. Bennett sent this guy the email he did.
      How many of us in Fernie would like to do the same to this horrible person we’ve had take over the local veterinary practice in town and make an utter disgrace of it?
      Is there any one else out there that finds it a huge contradiction that he is both a vet and the president of the rod and gun club?
      I say go back to the states- I for one don’t want ya here in this town!
      Bring Bennett back.

re
      Participant

I think that plans for the new mine are going to go through and that Bennet knows this so he jump ship from the minning Ministers job so he can still be the MLA for the East koot. instead of being voted out once the mine go,s in the Flathead??????eh as if you would give up your job for calling some American an Ass hole that would get you voted in again in these parts :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

kootney_girl
      Participant

I so agree with the email the Mr. Bennett sent to Mr. Hart, you know we locals get the short end of the stick alot here, we have all these albertans and all the americans that come to beautiful Fernie and fish the crap out of the Elk River, and hunt the animals like nut balls, but yet if we want to go to the part of the woods we better be prepared to jump through alot of hoops along the way. So i say cheers to Mr. Bennett, we could use alot more people like him standing up for us. So sorry to see him go.

moke
      Participant

I guess this Mr Hart guy is my vet, and i have absolutely no problems with him, he has been great with my dogs, myself and my wife. Mr Bennett on the other hand is a self righteous prick, i dont know how anybody could support him and i cannot believe that he got re-elected, the people here who express there support for him, must not have seen him in any public forums, or dealt with him in any way where you are on the other side of the fence… this man should not represent us, he is a disgrace..

canatedian
      Participant

I had a bumper sticker on my van once which read, “Politicians and the homeless. Both begging for inadequate change.”

Sad, If I do say so myself, that a local politician can’t restrain his anger over issues such as these without writing in a tone that is considered not so sweet. Sometimes we need to speak loud in order to be heard tho. I’m sad that Bennet did what he did, yet proud that he had the balls to do it. Just further proves my point that not enough people Vote.
      He was speaking on behalf of so many concerned citizens which makes it justifiable that he was doing what we pay him to do.
      I say close the border. And those of you who are whining about how bad the states influence is on our economy etc. Take a good look around. A new Walmart in Pincher Creek Alta for instance. this privatized highway bullshit. The problem is we can’t get ahead without bowing down to the country that believes everyone owes it something.
      Being Canadian isn’t just a stamp on a certificate, or a birthplace. It’s far more complicated than attitude too. It’s believing that what we stand up for is right in our minds and for our future. Sadly if the US disagrees we’ll be in war with them cuz they believe people like Oprah.
      Boycott whoever you want. But if you really want to make some waves start boycotting 711, Macdonalds, A&W, Subway, Boston Pizza, and all the other stupid franchises that do nothing more than make our country less original and make another country richer. I refuse to comment on much more than I know about, yet I could go on for days on this topic.
      Don’t judge a person from where they’re from, judge them on their actions alone.
      And while I’m on the topic of boycotting useless influence, think about how much syndicated tv we watch. Is it ours? Does it relate to us? Do we need to know what Idiots in another country think of certain celebrities and people? I propose EKTV but I’m sure its ratings will plummett with a new Jackass type series which will further rot the brains of generations to come.
      Is this politics, or the Muppet show?

PS. I’m in no way responsible for voting him in to start with. Maybe he ran outta good smoke during his letter writing.

moke
      Participant

what do you mean he was “speaking on behalf of the citizens”, nobody wants a damn mine in the flathead, only the politicians, want the mine, i have not met anyone who wants that mine, yet here we have Bill trying to tell everyone in victoria that the people back here support the mine, that is bullshit!! he does not speak for me, when he supports the mine or when he tells people that they are stupid for wanting a national park made out of the flathead…he is completely out of touch…

leftcoast
      Participant

I agree that the only people wanting the mine are a few greedy politicians and business people however, by in large, locals did not want a a park in the Flathead either.

Those favouring the Park were a few American influenced ($$) Wildsight supporters and Fernie business folk who envy Banff’s summer Tourism. The business assumption was that the Park would draw more European’s and Urban folk.

Fernie will never be the nice community it once was regardless of what the politicians and big business dictate. Social rot continues with rising housing prices, absentee home owners, closing schools and low paying jobs.

Viewing 7 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register