Park Place Lodge

Backcountry access

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      doalpine
      Participant

Wanted to get some info on off-piste skiing. My friends and I will be making our first trip to Fernie in March, and wanted to know if guides are needed, cat-skiing options, Heli-skiing, self-explore, Hot-air baloon, etc…… whats available and is there anything we can book once we get there or does it have to be done way in advance?

Play Hard
      DAO

peach
      Participant

Hey – I’m far from an expert in this but I do know (from last yr’s trip to Fernie) that there’s a few Cat skiing operations that operate in or around fernie.

I’m a bit snowed under at work today but if you google for Fernie cat skiiing or check out http://www.fernie.com and have a search around there’s a few operations listed there :)

anonymous
      Participant

There are two Cat Skiing operations in Fernie:

Island Lake: The most expensive of the two but they will definately look after you. I went with them in December and it is still the best day of boarding this year. Island Lake fills up fast because of its international status, 5 star in my mind. Another option is Powder Cowboy Cat Skiing, owned by the same copamy, however at a smaller scale. Which means a cheaper price! Its a bit of a drive if you have to hire a car.

Fernie Wilderness Tours: I went with them last year and had great guides. Good terrain and a good price. Budget prices but not budget skiing. A little more hiking is involved, good for skiier’s bad for boarders. Our guide took digital photos through out the day and had a slide show to cap things off nicely.

You can find the web links on this site.

doalpine
      Participant

Thanks for the information, I will be there in two weeks.

Hoping for new snow

Viewing 3 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register