Park Place Lodge

When do we actually need to arrive?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      fernface
      Participant

Hi

We’re heading out to Fernie this year for our first season in Canada and are after some advice from some seaoned seasonaires or Fernie regulars…..

Firstly and most importantly, when do we actually need to arrive? Were thinking about arriving prob around the 12th October. The prob being as always money. From what I understand you must arr by at least Mid Oct but then most work doesn’t start til Dec – eek! Is there anyway to overcome this financial dilemma?
      Which leads onto accomodation – Is it best to sort this out now or wait until we arrive? So many people seem to be sorting this now so don’t want to miss the boat but likewise don’t want to be pressured into sorting something when we’re not there in person and until we’ve seen the place and met our potential roomies – am thinking it would be a long season if personality clashes, differences in lifestyles etc were an issue. I’m coming out with my boyfriend so we’re looking for a double room somewhere.
      Lastly, on the job front – is there anything we can do now to help bag a job ahead of the mass arrival or is it just a case of arrive early enough and find it in person?

All advice gratefully recieved!!! Not long now -whoop whoop!!!!

Cheers!

rudy-admin
      Participant
      boardstorm
      Participant

Arriving early is usually a good bet. Me and 3 of my best friends (all guys) packed up my truck 2 years ago and just drove out to Fernie in Mid-October without any propects on jobs or places to live. Not the most responsible thing to do by any means. But once we rolled into town to the raging elk, everyone was so helpful and awesome with directing us towards places to live and locking down jobs. Within 3 days we had a place to live and had jobs. Just make sure you make it to town for both job fairs. The ski hill one and the one for local businesses. Fernie is awesome, you will love it. The time span between arriving in the winter and winter jobs starting up seems to be toughest on the wallet for a lot of people. Hope everything works out for you.

Cheers

hallsy
      Participant

The best accomodations go earlier and earlier every year. Ideally get that sorted before you come or try to come for the beginning of a month, to solidify your housing, otherwise you may be stuck sharing a small miners house with 6 of your buddies, their mess, smells and noise 24/7. When coming early and before the work starts in Dec, just come ready to hike around and spends any extra time enjoying what Fernie has to offer. Because once the winter arriver with full time work and full time riding, you’ll miss the free time you had to just check things out like in the fall. Good luck and enjoy the Pow Pow. Mark

Viewing 3 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register