What’s the deal with Fernie?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      tabisso
      Participant

Hey. I am thinking about making the leap into the interior to snowboard this winter. I currently live in Vancouver, and am spoiled by Whistler being so close to me. But I want to ride a different mountain this winter and am trying to decide which town/ mountain to try out. SO TELL ME WHY I SHOULD COME TO FERNIE! I have also been considering Revelstoke and Nelson.

Nightlife, Housing, Work, and the Powder! Any details will help….

26 female… will need a place to stay too.

Thanks. Tabisso.

griz-boy
      Participant

The Fernie Alpine Resort is so close to Fernie so access is 2-4 minutes. Big alpine mountain to play in!

Nelson is a drive but if you have a vehicle it’s not a problem 20-30 minutes.

If you are the outabounds type maybe Revelstoke is a better choice. Cat and Heli skiing if your budget can afford.

Really its like comparing apples and oranges.

deelite
      Participant

Why? One word: POWDER! Waist and in some places neck deep!

One word of caution to you Tabisso, Fernie is not a Snowboard friendly mountain. The backcountry is spectacular, but has challenged even the best of the best snowboarder from near and far. You may want to bring your skis or stay at Whistler dude… 8)

Deelite

gen
      Participant

I disagree with you deelite.

Sure you might have to unstrap and walk a bit or suck it up and traverse but it is so worth the epic turns you get in the end. Fernie is Steep and Deep! I found that a day at the hill without a hike was not a complete day. I wouldn`t trade in any of the leg burning traverses for skis (nothing against skiing).

If you`re still thinking about making the move I would recomend Fernie. Actually I always recomend Fernie!

*Beautiful Town
      *Plenty of outdoor activity year round
      *Epic Lift Access Terrain
      *Epic Back Country
      *Wonderful Locals
      *Exciting Night Life
      *All out your back door
      …made up your mind yet Tabisso!? :D

czar from afar
      Participant

Fernie!

Wave goodbye to the Whistler crud and afternoon cement. Fernie snow is light, and stays that way all day.

Kiss off the crowds. After big dumps, you can find fresh tracks for days.

Keep your cash. You can live well in Fernie for a fraction of the cost that you are used to.

And why Fernie over Nelson and Revelstoke? Baby, you will be stepping into one of North America’s 20 best dream towns.

Enjoy.

tabisso
      Participant

Thanks guys!

It wasn’t hard once I started to take a closer look at Fernie to make up my mind. I’m coming to ride this winter!

See you on the hill.

snowave
      Participant

I am hoping to come to the area within the next year, maybe sooner… especially if “W” gets re-elected here in the states.. :?

I was very impressed with the town of Fernie last year when I came to visit. My biggest hope it that Fernie can try to keep its real town charm and have a world class resort. I am sure for some, it is already losing it, but from my extensive travels in the states and its “ski towns” there isn’t much left anymore that the mega corporations in the industry haven’t destroyed. I only wish people in the states could see how to enjoy and respect the quality of life other like so many Canadians I encountered on my trip. They (you) are some of the nicest people I have ever encountered.

Anyway, My biggest concern is employment, however. It seems rather diffcult to to get a career job in many smaller Canadian towns, even with my experience as a forest ranger, which can be a big help in U.S. mtn towns, even though its very competetive. I am now 32 and NOT interested in the ski bum life,(even though I am an avid snowboarder) but settling down with my new wife (teacher) and pups- and enjoying life outside of the big city, and preferably out the states as well.

If anyone has any help and/or advice..it would be greatly appreciated. :D

thanks,
      sno…

Good Luck Tabisso, sorry to hijack the thread!

Viewing 6 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register