What the?-About Fernie

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      tpb
      Participant

On January 17, 2007 my Neighbour got a letter from the School saying:

To All Isabella Dicken and Max Turyk Parents,

At its meeting last night the Board of School Trustees School District 5 passed the following motion:

”M/S that the Board of School Trustees School District 5 PROPOSES the closure of one of the two elementary schools in Fernie (either Isabella Dicken Elementary or Max Turyk Elementary) effective June 30, 2007. The Board also directs staff to prepare a consultation process as per Board Policy 7.9”

This motion begins the process for the Board to decide which, if any, school the Board plans on closing in the community of Fernie.

In addition, the Board announced a Notice of Motion for the February Board meeting which reads as follows:

”M/S that all Fernie grade 7 students are to attend Fernie Secondary effective September, 2007, in a 7-12 configuration.”

The board will be seeking input from parents and community members in Fernie and annoucements concerning the consultation process will be forth coming.

seasonsgreetings
      Participant

Please don’t let this happen!!!

Every Fernie resident has a responsibility to try to stop the School Board from closing our schools. We have already lost one , and to lose another school would be a tradgedy. I know enrollment was down this year at Max Turyk but from talking to local parents, it sounds like that was partly a knee-jerk reaction to the rumour that the school would be closing, so everyone enrolled their kids at IDES, which is now overflowing. Where are these extra kids going to go? IDES is certainly not big enough, and as far as I know the Academy is already at capacity enrollment for the past couple of years.

Walk up and down 2nd Ave, how many parents do you see with strollers? There are plenty of little kids out there – where are they going to go to school? How do we encourage families to come here if we are closing the schools down?

It’s time to do something about this. Please, someone list on here what action we can take. Who do we write to? Who do we call? Who is putting together a petition and where can it be signed?

skigirl
      Participant

it is appalling that the school is potentially closing. The previous blogs certainly voice that.

I ask… how is the valley ever going to grow without basic infrastructure in place.

Viewing 2 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register