Part Time Housekeeping Positions

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      goldstar
      Participant

Goldstar Cleaning Services is currently hiring people for part time cleaning positions. 2-3 days of work per week. Competitive wages. Please apply to gcstar@telus.net or phone 250-423-4029.

mrdwyatt
      Participant

For those interested in working for Goldstar be warned if you work less than 30 days they will attempt to claim up to five days of your full salary as “Training Days”. They have a history of doing so. Even after you have worked for three weeks and received a full paycheck they will still try to rob you of pay for hours worked. Many great people work for this company, just be careful with its “contracts” and unfair policies.

seasonsgreetings
      Participant

Good for you Goldstar! (I’m not sure if there’s any truth in that last post or not, but there should be!) I’m so sick of people starting a job and then quitting after a day, a week, a month. It costs a helluva lot of money to train people, including actual time spent training, costly mistakes, trained employees having to re-do work…the list goes on.

These are seasonal positions – you work hard, you get paid, you go have fun after work. It’s five months – it would be great if just for once, someone would understand how much they are inconveniencing employers with this start-quit-start-quit-start-quit nonsense. If you don’t want the job, don’t accept it! This current trend goes way beyond the likelihood of the employers being at fault – I keep coming across people who’ve had 4 or 5 jobs in Fernie in the last 3 months, and employers who are tearing their hair out as a result, and are ready to pack up and quit themselves.

What people seem to expect from a part time housekeeping position is getting quite ridiculous. What exactly is it that you didn’t understand when you started, that caused you to quit before you’d worked there for a month?

GRRR. That’s my rant for the day. I do feel better now.

rudy-admin
      Participant

Well stated seasonsgreetings!

With respect to Goldstar, they have a “policy” of not paying for training days if the employee leaves before working a specified number of days. The employee accepts this policy prior to accepting the position.

What their work seasonsgreetings rant is very real!

db
      Participant

Is it fair to deduct 5 days of training when only 1 hour of training is provided? Best off not working for Gold Star in the first place, you’ll save yourself the headache. There are tons of good employers in Fernie who practice good business.

gavitron
      Participant

Goldstar is a great company to work for. I know plenty of people that have worked with them and still do. I hear nothing but fun stories from their team and no complaints about pay. They present and maintain a very positive attitude and do a great job.

db,
      As for any policies they may have to gain employment with them it is for good reason. Obviously they too have had experiences with the “hit and run” employees (you being one of them) one too many times. Any job takes at least a month to become great at. To fall in to routine and to work efficiently and affectively. Why do you think you deserve money for wasting these hardworking peoples time? If you ask me, you owe them an apology and they owe you nothing.

frank
      Participant

About Goldstar,

You should try to work for them before saying that kind of think guys.
      I work for them for a second winter in a row and the have been so kind with me.Maybe because I’ve been doing what the expected from me.

It is very hard for all of us working with those who quit early cause most of the time we have to re-do their work.If you need a good job a good wage and a realy freindly environement comme to see us.

If you are some of those that need a UNION to protect yourself,Just stay home guys because I am one of those and we are all poeple that just know what needs to be done and we are realy happy that way.

thanks Frank

amylou
      Participant

Hey there guys!

I,d like to throw my tuppence worth into this topic which i have been monitoring with interest.
      I have had first hand problems with this company and if anyone else has had the same go to the following site and follow the procedures outlined. http://www.labour.gov.bc.ca/esb/self-help/start.htm
      I have been reimbursed for the hours that i have worked – a fairs work for a fair days pay.
      As db has said it is not fair to deduct 5 days training for a mere 30 minutes of training, sure it would be different if 5 days worth of time and training were to be invested in an employee to be trained.

Fernie, a mining town of all places should realise the importance of labour rights. There seems to be a terrible sense of hypocrisy here, its funny how a couple of dollars seem to make people forget these things…

Frank i see you have dragged yourself away from your english lessons long enough to write a semi-comprehensible piece of wabble babble that my 6 year old niece would turn up her nose at. Stick to what your good at – cleaning.

Like it our not transient workers are needed for this town to run effectively. We work the jobs nobody else wants to work.

This practise of maximising profit at the expense of casual workers who are not fully aware of Canadian Labour Laws is shameful.

Shame on you Goldstar, i hope your company rots.

fernierider
      Participant

Amylou, you should really read your own post before criticizing others on their grammar. (English is probably Frank’s second language as well.)

gavitron
      Participant

I can’t say forsure, but my thoughts are that this has little to do with the companies profit and more to do with them trying to protect themselves from hiring people with little or no work ethic. I do agree that transients help fill the gaps during the busy season and I have a lot of respect for the ones that start working as soon as they get here, tell the employer the truth about how long they will be here and, in return for the opportunity, stick with the job. Unfortunately there are those who do the exact opposite. This may be why businesses are starting to try ways to avoid this. Laws can be great, but sometimes they can clash with reality.

mrdwyatt
      Participant

To assume just because a person only worked for a short time means they were a bad worker is a foolish.

The policy of “you must work for us for thirty days or we will attempt to break Canadian Labour laws and not pay you for five of them” is not clearly explained during the hiring process.

When I arrived I began working right away. I turned to housekeeping as the easy answer as it seemed everyone needed help.

Later given my qualifications, once I had the chance to look around more I found many better fits of employment at a far more competitive wage where I didn?Ç‚Äôt have to clean up after others. I have tons of respect for housekeepers, I have now been there, but it is not MY ideal position. I had not tried it until coming here so how was I to know? Are you honestly of the opinion that Canadians should not be allowed to seek better employment? No one with any intelligence will attempt to back that ridiculous claim up. Do you only get one chance to get it right? Have you never quit a job? I worked hard, generated company profit and then when I decided to leave after a few weeks for a better job I had money withheld from me illegally.

How do I know it is illegal? My government informed me and directed me to the page that was posted above to claim back my wages. If you don’t like an honest days pay for an honest days work then nothing I say will change your mind. Housekeeping is tough work and for many not ideal. My hat is off to the wonderful people who do it everyday. I don’t ever want to see anyone not rewarded for such hard work and selfishly, yes, that does include myself.

It must be frustrating to constantly loose employees and I’m sorry I don’t have any answers to solve that problem but it does not give anyone the right to dock pay out of frustration. Thankfully, Canadians on the whole are smart enough to have steps in place to protect the everyday worker from such labour rights violations.

Furthermore, Goldstar works intimately with many chemicals including bleach and provides none of the government regulated WHMIS training. It is illegal and dangerous.

My original post was to help others like me who had been robbed and I had. Just ask my government! But your replies and attacks like ?Ç‚ÄúI owe them money?Ç‚Äù have only helped my cause. I wasn?Ç‚Äôt debating your moral stance with it, I was correctly pointing out that it is illegal. Again if you have ever been a victim please follow this link and fill out the proper forms to claim your wages. If they do not comply within 15 days the government will step in Patton style.

http://www.labour.gov.bc.ca/esb/self-help/start.htm

ferniegoer
      Participant

WOW!

all I can say is wow. seasonsgreetings and Rudy-admin(!) condoning illegal business practices?

And in response to seasonsgreetings 2 cents…

“These are seasonal positions – you work hard, you get paid, you go have fun after work”

Are you kidding me? Yes you work hard. You get paid a pitiful amount. Fun after work? You mean go to the bars? Oh hang on, after working all day I actually forgot that I came here to SKI!!!

Get real. It’s cleaning. Anyone in their right mind would throw in the towel in the face of a better offer. It’s a job that nobody wants to do and therefore will definately ensure a high turnaround of staff. That’s the nature of the business. One shouldn’t go into a business venture if they weren’t fully informed of how things operate so sympathy from this fernieskibum is minimal.

No complaints about pay Gavitron? Ever tried asking? Maybe employers in Fernie wouldn’t have a similar staffing problem IF THEY PAID A DECENT WAGE! You think it’s fun living on next to minimum wage?

You ACTUALLY think it’s a good wage Frank? Are you from a third-world country? If so take your ‘good’ wages and go back there to live in luxury.

Neuroimaging professionals should have their schedules’ filled up from the opinions on this page.

gavitron
      Participant

“Get real. Its cleaning.”

If that statement makes the job bottom of the barrel, I don’t see much room for a high-paying expectation.

Higher pay? “Get real. Its cleaning.”

The only other thing I can think to add is that if business owners spend all their income on wages there won’t be much left for them. And if they aren’t making anything, they will take their business elsewhere. Eliminating jobs all together.

People don’t come here to make a lot of cash, they come here to enjoy the surroundings. If making a big wage is a top priority head east a few hundred kilometers. On second thought, I know of entry level jobs paying $60,000 a year right here in the valley. I’m yet to hear a reason why people aren’t taking them. They probably don’t pay enough. That and you only get to ski 1 out of every 2 days.

As for SG and Rudy, I’m standing with them on their opinion. Cuff me and take me to the station.
      Frank, $8 an hour IS a good wage. Its cleaning.

Viewing 12 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register