Kiting

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      bagpuss
      Participant

We brought our 3 1/2m Bullet kite with us to Fernie to try out snowkiting, but that one’s gone by the board. :( But we were going to just take it out anyway.

Can anyone recomend some big open areas that we could fly it? We don’t want to end up on someone’s property by mistake. We have a vehicle, but would rather keep travel time to under an hour. Someone mentioned out there may be somewhere out towards Cranbrook.

Cheers

j2thapizo
      Participant

One of my buddies had one of those big kites that can send you flying 10 feet in the air and drag you for miles if you’re not experienced enough (me!).
      We used to drive out to this big open field every now and then. It was owned by some farmer for his cows to roam around so if there is no snow, watch out for those brownish pancake-like looking things on the ground.
      We went there a few times and never got in any trouble from the owner.
      It was on the way to Cranbrook, maybe 25 minutes out of Fernie, just after that small narrow tunnel through a cliff on highway 3. Just after the tunnel, on your left, you’ll see the field. (the road changes into a three or way lane road at that point). You need to slide down a little hill to get to it.
      I know my indications are somewhat vague, but thats what i remember.
      Have fun!

bagpuss
      Participant

Thanks – have a pretty good idea of where you mean. :)

username
      Participant

Do you need snow to run one of those. Cause if you do….. There is no snow out that way at all…. If you think Fernie has no snow….you should check out there….not a flake … I hear the ski dooing in Revelstroke is good..that might equal good kitting…..but it’s usually Big Steep Mountain terrain…not open fields..

bagpuss
      Participant

You don’t need snow for it – only for snowkiting ;) – but it can be flown normally (or with a mountain boarsd, but we left that in the UK.) Ah well, may even be able to try snow kiting now :D

Viewing 4 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register