Interactive Map – Great for first time visitors to Fernie

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      anonymous
      Participant

Hi Everyone, My name is Ian and I work for a company that does property rental in Fernie. Currently we are working on Interactive Maps for each mountian destination we offer.

Fernie is one of my personal favorites, and we just recently finished the map for this resort. I think this will be a great resource for first time visitors to Fernie Alpine Resort. I would love any feedback on the map especially from Fernie locals. What do you think of it? Is it easy to use? Is it accurate? Is there things we should add?

Feel free to take a look at: http://www.okchalets.com/flash/map_fernie.swf?pid=
      And let me know what you think…

If you can’t view the link above, you can also fond the map at: http://www.okchalets.com/property-fernie.php

Thanks for your help everyone, and I look forward to hitting the slopes at Fernie again this year!!

seasonsgreetings
      Participant

Well for starters the Wood and Alpine Lodge have not offered restaurant services for the past year or two. There is a good chance there will be a new restaurant in the Griz Inn this year, but it’s not final yet and it won’t be the Wood, which was a bit of a Fernie favourite when it was here, and has now moved to Vancouver.
      Your parking lots are a bit out, and the upper one is private parking for season parking-pass holders only.
      In the resort base you’ve missed the sports alpine boutique, slopeside deli and the convenience store.
      Not sure where the term "village region" came from, but the two main roads are Timberline Crescent (in your Timberline region) and Highline Drive (in your village region.) As guests driving to the resort will be looking for those street names (and others, like Boomerang Way) it would probably be a good idea to include them.
      You’ve missed the entire Cedar Bowl, Haul back t-bar and outhouses to the right of the map. Also the Lost Boys restaurant and outhouses at the top of the timber chair, and the Bear’s Den at the top of the Elk chair.
      If you’re not going to put on the names of the runs (and I think you should have at least the main ones) then you definately need to put the names of the bowls, ridges, peaks and the actual heights of the base and top of the resort.
      It’s a good start but needs a lot of editing and is still very bare bones. If you want it to be interactive, then you need to include a ton of additional info – just having the names get bigger doesn’t really do anything useful.

anonymous
      Participant

Thanks seasonsgreetings,

I really appreciate the feedback. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Its easy to work on mountains like Big White and Silver Star that are in our own backyard, but with places like Fernie that are a days drive away it pays to talk to the locals.

I’m going to pass your comments on to rest of the development team and hopefully we can make improvments based on them.

Viewing 2 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register