How cold is it?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      ezza_08
      Participant

hey im from australia coming over to fernie to snowboard in winter…just wondering what kinda jaackets/pants i need to snowboard in. usually in australia i just wear a hoodie and shell pants, sometimes with thermals..what do you locals wear to keep warm, what are the temperatures like?

deelite
      Participant

….with temperatures up on the mountain ranging from +5 to -15C…jeans and a good parka will do the trick here. :wink:

P.S. Do you plan on working when you’re here? Or just spending a lot of money and contributing to the local economy?

griz-boy
      Participant

Well I have a different perspective on this. Jeans will not cut it, but I take it you were joking.

A good pair of pant 2 layer Gore Tex 3 if you have the money. You don’t really need Gore Tex but you need something high in water resistency. And if you are going to board over 30 days get a good 2 layer pant. I would stay away from fleece lined pants because they will be too hot come spring. Get a shell pant, a thin pair of polar fleece pants for the cold days, long underware (the new wool blends are nice). Get a pant that has a vent to it they are great to zip up the lift and unzip going down.

Jacket same idea as pants 2 to 3 layer shell with vents. Then layer with some marinawool and fleece.

Temperatures are pretty mild here which is bad cause it will rain and we will get a cold snap that you will see -30+ windchills. Its Canada, unpredicable so dress for it!

Jeans are great for drinkin afterwards!

Oh yeah get a good selection of toques:)

and bring your snorkel cause when it snows it snows and the dry powder gets hard to breathe in. :lol:

deelite
      Participant

Griz-boy,

I remember the first year I skied Fernie, there was this clown on the hill skiing “Dancer” with a lumber jacket and jeans on…..we were laughing at this guy because he did not have a care in the world and was hot dogging until he bailed real badly. We saw him later at the Bear’s Den drinking scotch from a flask – real hardcore, he must have been freezing! I believe he told us that he was from a place called Gatineau?

RE: Snorkel….what were last year’s conditions like? Did you need one??

Peace.
      Deelite

griz-boy
      Participant

Nah, you don’t really need one its just funny when you see people use them in video. Probably would work if it snowed tons of dry or spray from hell side turns.

Last year was average till spring. Then it was like we were on mountain bikes for the rest of the season.

:D

ezza_08
      Participant

griz-boy,
      what is a toque?

deelite
      Participant

….a beenie you wear on your head in the winter to keep you warm.

Canadian eh! 8)

ezza_08
      Participant

are you serious? its just a beanie? never heard it before
      i will have to learn some of these things, eeehhhh bro

anonymous
      Participant

A better discription of a toque would be a wollen or fleece cap the fits over the head snugly and comes down far enough to cover at least the tops of the ears. Not always necessary if one is wearing a helmet while on the slopes, but that’s my personal bias as a member of the Canadian Ski Patrol System showing through. See you on the slopes!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register