helpful tips about coming to fernie

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      mongirl
      Participant

Hi everyone! I am planning to move to Fernie next fall (2008) and I was wondering if you could give me some advice about making the move. I’ve noticed that finding apartments/rooms for rent can be tricky. I’m hoping to find something that is permanent, not just a 6-month lease. Also, is it hard to try to get a job before moving there if I’m still living out east? (I’m from Mtl) I enjoy the outdoors and I’ve always wanted to live out west but I don’t have the slightest idea what Fernie would be like. I am hoping to find a job or jobs that will allow me to stay there permanently, but I understand that most jobs in the industry are seasonal. I’m going to drive out there, since I hear that having a car is a must if you’re going to be getting around in Fernie. It will be my first cross-country trip I make so any advice for that? Sorry for all the questions, but the feedback in this forum is usually pretty good, so any tips are appreciated!

meo
      Participant

The only advise i can give you for your first cross-country trip is DON’T GET STOCK IN WAWA..

wade
      Participant

Fernie is amazing you’ll love it. Everything in town is real close you can walk just about anywhere

gumbootgal
      Participant

Fernie is an ideal place. Maybe you will meet a local yocal and settle down and live here for a long time!! It has not been a long time for me- 4years- but it is great and I did meet a great guy! It is very friendly. I have found it is neat because, if you go out, as in nightlife all genders are SUPER friendly. If you want some personal pics of the area, I could let you see some scenery. Not just nightlife, but actual life, as in every day stuff. It is close nit in way, you have your locals, but I think basically everyone is welcome. At least that’s how I felt. I do have family roots here as well (My mom was born in Natal) I started out “seasonal” not as a skier, but in the forest industry and ended up moving away one winter to find work and came back as it is a great place to live. I am now fulltime in the area and love it.(and hey, I may even have a super deal on a SUV for you! as I am selling) Anyhow PM me if you want. Cheers!
      oh and get on the looking for a place to rent NOW. If you do look now you may secure something!

mongirl
      Participant

when is the best time to drive out there? Late summer? Or is that too early?? I realize that seasonal hiring doesn’t happen until late fall but is it better to come a little earlier to find jobs/places to rent and can I really secure a job and an apartment/room to rent a year ahead of time?? I wish I was coming now but I need time to save up some money so that I’m not living out of my car when I get there!

czar from afar
      Participant

Don’t be too concerned about the accomodations. You will be able to find a great place if you start looking by Sept or so.

However, you really should get there for late summer, if you can. The hiking, biking and river sports are exceptional. This is a legitimate wilderness landscape, and it is well worth seeing in the summer.

Enjoy.

seasonsgreetings
      Participant

I find it a bit odd that you would want to move to a place you have never visited, but most people do love it here so good luck! The earlier you come the better, summer is amazing here, try and come in late June/early July for a great summer experience, plenty of jobs at that time of year and you’ll find accommodation easily then. If you are staying permanently you’ll get a better deal if you go for year-round accommodation.
      Fall is beautiful and there’s been tons of wildlife around this year. There’s plenty of accommodation in September, but you’ll be competing against a lot of people who are “prospecting” so you’ll find it harder to bargain. A lot of folk who are planning to come for the winter start their email campaigns then, so it’s just a bit tougher to get noticed, just ask around with people who are already here, don’t commit to anything until you have compared it to other places and don’t feel like you have to take something because it’s all you can find – there’s always other stuff out there. People in Fernie are pretty relaxed about advertising, a lot of stuff is word of mouth so you need to be prepared to put in the legwork and make some friends.
      I’ve never done the drive across country, but definately post on all the Fernie sites and http://www.fernierideboard.com if you are driving across as there’s always people looking to get over here and you’ll save yourself a ton if you’ve got someone sharing gas money. That said, as a single person you DO NOT need a car in Fernie. I’ve lived here 6 years and only owned a car for 6 months of that time, I sold it because I found I didn’t need it. Everything is within walking or riding distance and there’s a shuttle bus or easy hitching to the hill in winter. Help us save our beautiful valley and leave your car in the polluted East. On the other hand, if you can’t live without KFC, Winners, and strip bars then you’ll need a car to get you out of town once a month :P – although even Cranbrook and Cowtown are do-able by bus or ride-share.

mongirl
      Participant

A friend of mine used to live and work in Fernie and my brother came out west for a couple of years so I have been tempted to do it as well. I am not a huge fan of the big tourist attraction towns, aka Whistler so that’s why I have chosen Fernie for it’s small town charm yet the scenery pics I’ve seen are breath-taking and everyone seems so down to earth. Sounds like my kind of town!

savage

Be sure to read the Survival Guide at:

[url]
      http://www.fernie.com/survival_guide/intro.html
      [/url]

Viewing 8 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register