Park Place Lodge

"Green" Councillors stickhandle pesticides ban past Idon?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      snowvalley
      Participant

From Jan. 1, 2011, pesticides will be banned for cosmetic use within the City of Fernie, after council became the 29th B.C. municipality to pass a pesticide use bylaw on Monday.

The bylaw’s original wording would have meant that gardeners were banned immediately from using cosmetic pesticides on their lawns and gardens.

However in a council meeting two weeks ago the bylaw was amended to allow a grace period until Jan. 1, 2011.

The City has set aside money for the next four years to provide information and education on alternatives to chemicals when dealing with unwanted pests in the garden.

“That’s the way I can support the bylaw,” said Mayor Cindy Corrigan, who previously voted against an immediate ban.

“We are hearing from the community that they want this but I think there is a group of people out there who need to have an education component to it.”

“This reflects all the really hard work from the integrated pest management taskforce,” said Coun. Bernie Palmer. “We have had delegations from both sides before council, we have done our homework and the implementation doesn’t come into effect until January 2011. It is important for people to know there is this period for education.”

Coun. Kevin McIsaac added: “I would encourage those who are concerned about the bylaw to check out the bylaw before running around like their hair is on fire.”

The bylaw was passed by five votes to one, being opposed by Coun. Phil Iddon who has said throughout the discussions that he opposes the ban.

Under the bylaw, it will be illegal to use cosmetic pesticides, including herbicides to control plants or insecticides to control insects, if an alternative, non-chemical method exists.

However the chemicals can still be sold legally within the city – it would be up to the provincial government to restrict sale of products.

The City of Fernie bylaw has a clause allowing people to apply for permission to use chemicals for urgent pest infestations where no effective alternative is available. If granted, the resident will have to post written notices on the land where the pesticide is to be used and contact their neighbours to inform them of the details of the pesticide.

The pesticide bylaw was first drafted by the integrated pest management taskforce, led by resident Bill Silversides and other community members.

mikes
      Participant

Quick question. Is the fernie golf course included in the banned zone? Oh and since it’s a Fernie bylaw I guess West Fernie is not included?

admin
      Keymaster

West Fernie remains in the Regional District for now however the politicians are once again working on a annexation plan. The Golf Course is definitely in the City and should be included with the proposed ban.

Has anyone smelled burning hair?

mikes
      Participant

I don’t think Kevin McIsaac has any hair. But if he did, it would be on fire.

Viewing 3 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register