Park Place Lodge

Fernie Academy

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      djmorris
      Participant

Has anyone had any experience with Fernie Academy?

What do they do well, and what could be improved?

How does this school compare to the public schools?

Thanks!

gavitron
      Participant

I don’t have kids, so I can’t offer any direct opinion about the Academys service, but I have interacted with them and seen the kids that do attend. One thing that sticks out in my mind is when I walked into a classroom there was a bunch of children speaking french about as well as I did in grade 10, and these kids were about 10 years old. They all seem to enjoy being there (about as much as a kid can enjoy being at school anyways.) They all seem to be recieving excellent education and for the most part are polite, well behaved kids. I have also met a number of the ladies that teach there and they are all very nice people. I have also noticed that they spend a decent amount of time outdoors participating in all sorts of different activities and interacting with the community. As a kid that attended Fernies public schools, I would definetly consider the Academy before the public schools. My only concern would be when the kids had to move into a public school due to the Academy’s limited grade offerings that they would have a hard time adapting to the rougher, perhaps more negative environment.

valleygirl
      Participant

I think there are benefits to both public and private systems, and either way you go in Fernie you will receive good teaching and education for your child. Both the public and private schools are being reinvigorated with young, enthusiastic instructors that can offer a lot. When it comes down to it, what it takes is being very involved in your childs education and development.

seasonsgreetings
      Participant

I’d agree with what Gavitron had to say about the Academy’s teaching standards, they seem to be very high and I particularly appreciate the focus on arts, languages and social responsibility.

I havn’t really had any interaction with the public schools, so can’t really comment there, other than to say I totally disagree with the four day/five day nonsense currently causing so many issues. I don’t have kids in either system.

Just wanted to clarify a few descrepancies that I noticed in the previous posts. As far as I am aware, the Fernie Academy plans to add one grade each year right through to High School graduation level. No-one will have to move to the public system if they don’t want to. The oldest students currently at the Academy will always be the oldest, moving up each year to the new grade until they graduate. These plans may have changed recently, but I did hear this originally “from the horses mouth” so to speak.

The Academy is an independant school, not private. It may seem like a minor point but actually has a lot of educational relevance. They are assesed by Government and must adhere to strict regulations. Private schools can do what they like.

savage

The Free Press has an editorial this week on a BC school “report card” and Fernie Secondary School ranks 235 out of 279. Elkford and Sparwood ranked more respectfully at 33 and 80.

The report is only as relivant as the criteria thet were used to create it. However it probably is an indication of what is fueling an intelegent program option for parents in Fernie.

canatedian
      Participant

I have never let my schooling get in the way of my education.
      –Mark Twain–

Youth is abundant. Open the fountain of smart.

Viewing 5 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register