Fernie 2005!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      dave r
      Participant

Hi all! This is my first post as just found the website today.
      I am 24 and have just graduated from university in the UK. I am planning travelling around canada for upto a year on a working holiday visa, starting June 2005. I am going to fly to Vancouver from the UK the look for work from there. I am interested in working in small towns resorts etc and think Fernie would be a great place to stay and work for a while.

I was wondering when would be the best time to arrive in Fernie in terms of finding employment and accomodation?
      Also would it be a good place for a novice skier who is interested in learning?
      I am interested in most outdoor activities and was wondering if there are many places to canoe/kayak?

I would be looking for people to live with and I’m very intersested in the nightlife social aspect also. Nothing better than meeting new people!!!

Hope someone has some advice as it would be very appreciated.

Cheers,
      Dave

anonymous
      Participant

Best time is about right now. Reason is that winter hiring begins and accomodation is still availiable.

You probably won’t be novice after skiing a season in Fernie. If you are looking for groomed runs then Fernie is not the place, you might want to research Alberta ski resorts (Nakiska, Norquay, Lake Louise).

Kayaking is best when the winter run off begins.

The nightlife is as good as you make it, there is 5 good bar/pubs, 1 is a semi club atmosphere.

sreed16
      Participant

Fernie is the place to be in the winter for employment. accomodations are pretty steep this time of year unless you hook up with some roomates. night life is a lot of fun if you go to the right place. people here are friendly for the most part with the few that think they are better than everyone else. good luck with your travels and if you want to email eachother we can get to know eachother and then you will know someone when you get here!

sparkes
      Participant

sreed16
      Participant

in reply to sparkes which i know, i must correct her, i have only had 3 jobs in a year here, one lasting a year and going, bp which sucked and the hotel. :D but they have been all at the same time!!

Viewing 4 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register