Comming to Fernie next season……

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      dansta
      Participant

Hey! I’m planning to head over to Fernie for the season next winter…. i know the snow is great but am wondering about the town, people, nightlife, accomodation, cost of living etc. So what are the fernie locals like???!!! Is it a bit of a party town? Where are the best places to work and is it easy to get a job? hows the cost of living and how far ahed do i need to think about accomodation for the season? Any useful info will be muchos appreciated!!!

laura
      Participant

Hey
      I am also planning on coming to Fernie in December 2004 to work the winter season. I’m from Auckland, NZ and finish uni at the end of the year. I’m hoping to get work on the mountain, but don’t know how easy it is to get. As for accomodation, I think the best and cheapest way may be to get a group of people together first, then look for a house to rent for the season, as I don’t think the mountain has employee housing. Don’t have much info yet, but am interested in replies to your questions.

Cya
      laura

griz-boy
      Participant

FAR employs seasonal workers at its annual job fare. Look for an announcemnet on there site in August. You might have to be in Fernie and apply in person to get a job at the resort.

October – November are great times to find accomadation. December – January can get scetchy as most of the good accoms are taken. Most Aussie’s will room with other Aussie’s to keep cost of living down, but you will find other’s wanting room-mates.

No FAR employee housing, so living in the city is mandatory. On average a room will cost $350, depending on the amenities. Sometimes you can lock in a rental rate in September October for a long term stay. This will save you hundreds of dollars that will lead into my next suggestion.

Partying of course costs money and long term can be expensive. Save your money so you won’t have to sit at home.

Every ‘local’ is different, we are all human, but in general everybody is happy when it snows.

dansta
      Participant

Thanks for the info Griz – boy, much appreciated! and Laura, my email is iamalive5@hotmail.com. keep me posted on info you find out and i’ll do the same?

laura
      Participant

Yeah will do! thanks for the info Griz-boy! Dansta my email is lawra82@hotmail.com Will keep in touch.
      Laura

sam
      Participant

Hey lawra82 and dansta and griz i too will be gracing the slopes of this supposed wonderful mountain at the end of this year……

i hope anyway….

do i know you from somewhere lawra82? your name seems familiar…..
      anyway if you maybe want to get together for a drink sometime let me know…im easy and desperate :)

Well back to the topic at hand… young griz mentioned that getting accom early can save lots o dollars, it could be beneficial to look into this as i may have contacts that could help us out???

deelite
      Participant

…there are many tourists from Australia and New Zealand who travel to Fernie, BC each year to work and ski etc.. I am curious to know how Fernie get’s on your radar screen and what sort of information you hear about the resort?

Typically, I meet many Europeans who visit in the Winter, but it is the Aussies and Kiwi’s who primarily come to work and hang out longer etc.

Why is Fernie so popular Down Under? And do these tourists come from urban or rural areas of your country?

Peace
      Deelite

deelite
      Participant

…bringing this thread back up top. Where have all the Aussie posters gone to?

Peace.
      Deelite

adel
      Participant

Perhaps it has something to do with your lovely, warm comments in an earlier post: :evil:

” Much nicer than the hillbillies from the Australian outback who visit your beautiful country just to piss on it. “

FYI: Australia, NZ and Canada, plus a few other countries ie. Japan have reciprical agreements for 12 month working holiday visas. Hence, you will find Aussies and Kiwis in just about every ski resort in Western Canada. Just as you will find Canadians working their way around Australia and New Zealand’s sunny shores!

And yes, I have pissed on Canada on countless occasions. If you gotta go, you gotta go! :lol:

jvd
      Participant

There’s tonnes of Aussies here in Whistler too. I don’t think it’s just Fernie…I think it’s Canada. And all the ones I have met are really friendly too…

Viewing 9 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register