BAD Tax Return Experience (Foreigners)

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      marshmich
      Participant

Note: We are on a working holiday visa therefore this does not apply to Canadian residents.

Just wanted to let all you foreign ski bums that we had a pretty bad experience with H & R Block in Fernie. It seemed like an easy way to do our returns with confidence that it would be done right.

My partner and I walked into H & R Block for a carefree tax return and got something very different. We were quoted ‘around’ $100 each. She told us the price went up with every T4 you had. I said we had around 5 each and she said it would be around $100 each. It turned out to be $160 for mine and $150 for my partners.

During the process of having our return done the person told me my return amount, which seemed ok. She then had her manager check it and the amount halved for a reason she couldn’t find. She also hadn’t asked me some of my personal information which she needed for my cheque to be sent out, for example the country where it would sent to.

After that she realised she had missed one for my partners T4 slips. She entered in the new details and the return amount that she had already told us was cut by over a third.

She also didn’t ask us if we had donated to any charities which are tax deductable so missed out on that too.

We paid our taxes throughout the year and this should have been a very basic return for them to process.

After a few emails back and forth to H & R Block they have checked our returns again to make sure there wasn’t any further mistakes. In doing so, they have informed that there was a extra fees because we were foreigners which we were never told about.

Please beware and make your own decision whether to use them or not.

P.S. don’t expect your return to be in your account in two weeks like in Australia. This will take 10 months to process and it will be sent out in a cheque.

sydneysider
      Participant

Thanks heaps for that! Will not go with them. 10 months!! Canada is so behind.

gumbootgal
      Participant

Hmmm actually, you have your cash back in a few weeks, direct deposit into your account or can even have it the same day for a small fee. Oh wait- that’s only for Canadians. Gee are we slow… :roll:

sogladtobeswineflu
      Participant

lets back it up there miss Sydneysider…..
      as a very thankfull guest of the country of Canada I have read numerous retarded posts from punters like yourselves over the years…so lets talk aussie then..tall poppy syndrome and all..
      I was born and raised in sydney,actually rose harbour which i’m sure a windging skank like you never came from from…bet yer from from infested dike like Cronulla….(14 years in Fernie)
      how dare you critisize the hosts that provide you,the quintessential Aussie with cheep beer and great skiing….ever seen a season like that on Parisher or Buller…As an Aussie , you embarrass me and and all the good folks here with your junk talk about Canada..lets just stop the world and adjust to your simple minded high school crap…oooooh ahhhh..were Aussie..soooooo cooollll
      get a grip,change yer panties sydneysider..this town has had it with the typical "DINGO"…ye mate,best ever mate..we live in a house with 13 other aussies mate,best ever…olllllllld schoooooool..move along..Canadas so behind?!?!?
      then why are your here you cheap beer guzzling bogan????
      try getting a visa somewhere else..or as you said months ago..jump in a kangaroo pouch and leave
      fernie is an awesome place for people to meet,merge and learn..your type should get on the greyhound and go somewhere else….
      best ever mate,yeeahhhhh
      try filing a tax return in Oz as a foreigner and see how long it takes you stunted pile of vegemite…
      hopefully we can meet yer bloated carcass on a bike trail somewhere one day..you are probably the one wearing the flag on yer back to cover yer butt..that thing the size of Tazzie
      cheers
      aussie by birth,fernie by choice

sydneysider
      Participant

Haha gosh you have everything wrong what I was trying to say. Skank? Well watch your words. I dare not diss Canada at all as ‘hosts’. But I would not expect a Canadian in Australia to wait 10 months either. Nor any foreigner. I was merely gawking at the time. I don’t care how long it takes. As long as I get my tax I paid for my mere $9 and hour. And I am in o way some aussie yuppo who yells around Aussie Aussie never will ever be like that. Couldn’t care less. Just having fun in Fernie. I Don’t drink cheap beer and the snow was good and I don’t dream of rubbishing the country, never had. Don’t bother going at home. I fact I don’t drink, I have NEVER spoke like a typical ‘bogan’ Australian like you say and grew up in the city.

You have been very crude with your sly remarks, you sound like the snob being from rose wherever you say. Nor do I or have ever lived in a house with 13 something bogans. That I would not like. Make my own money quietly and live in my own house.
      Embarrassing you? How so? All I have said 10 months is not acceptable ANYWHERE for a tax return, that is behind for anywhere be it Canada, Australia, Iraq or china. Being from the finance industry myself that is a long time for a simple tax return.

Nothing wrong with Fernie.

I will give you the benifit of the doubt and say you ran on a tangent that could not be further from the truth about me.

Haha crazy people. Hilarious.

monarch
      Participant

H &R Block is a bad experience for students also. My daughter had them do a return in Calgary in 2009 and the student fee was $39.95 , but last year Fernie office did it and charged her over $100 dollars. A total rip off. BEWARE!!!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register