Park Place Lodge

2 Snowboarders looking for advice

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      jr
      Participant

Hi all!

I have been looking through existing topics but couldn’t find answers to some of my questions so hopefully you all can help! We are two americans (20-30 yrs old) coming the second week in January for snowboarding in the day and dinner/drinks at night.

From what I can tell, Fernie Alpine Resort is a nice place to stay but if you want to go out to eat, you will most likely have to travel Downtown which will cost you about $3 each way via cab. So, does this mean it’s a better idea to find a place to stay Downtown? If so, where do you suggest? We would like to spend no more than $250/night and would love to be within walking distance of all the restaurants and shopping. And are there regular shuttles that go from FAR to Downtown? We are also considering renting a car when we fly in from Calgary. Is it a problem to find places to park?

I also have a couple questions about conditions. I read in a topic that Fernie isn’t snowboard friendly. I assumed this to mean that there are many flats and that the runs are very thick and not easy to maneuver through on a snowboard. Is this true? We love wide, open areas with tress but we don’t want to be walking most of the time!

Thanks in advance for all of your help! Fernie looks like a wonderful location and I look forward to visiting!

Oh! One more question. Are there many places to shop? We might have to pick up a few things (helmets, backpacks, etc) before we board and were wondering if we could do our shopping there.

JR

rudy-admin
      Participant

A cab is more like $20 and the wait can be painful. Rent a vehicle or take Mtn Perks to FErnie and the day shuttle to the ski-hill.

You are correct about the ski-hill. After a couple of beers you’ll want to be downtown. I recommend staying at either the Park Place Lodge or the Best Western. The PPL is probably better located for walking.

Parking is not a problem in Fernie.

Fernie is one of the best riding mountains anywhere. Naturual gullies exist in all five bowls that are lift serviced and the snow is usually soft. Sometimes it is worth walking a few minutes for untracked deep snow.

There are great shops in the downtown.

Enjoy your adventure!

czar from afar
      Participant

Also, there is a free evening shuttle between FAR and the Town, but you will likely be far happier staying in Town.

As for renting a car, the parking at the hill is pretty good, compared to most other places, and parking in Town is largely a non-issue.

Regarding the ski shops, there are 3-4 very good ones – you will have no problem finding what you need, and the selection is well suited to the area conditions.

Viewing 2 reply threads
Not logged in?

Sign in or register for free to post a reply.

Sign In or Register