Avalanche safety is a hot topic. Sledders represent a small percentage of avalanche deaths in BC (skiers represent the majority with over 60% of deaths) however safety is important to Teck. Loosing employees to avalanches is avoidable with a bit of education.
That’s why Teck Resources is once again presenting its annual Sledhead Thinktank forums in November, 2011.
All events will take place from 6 p.m. and 9 p.m., and the dates and locations are as follows:
• November 14—Blairmore, Alberta at the Elks hall
• November 15—Elkford, B.C. at the community centre (upstairs)
• November 18—Sparwood, B.C. at the curling club lounge
• November 19—Fernie, B.C. at the Best Western
The forums aim to celebrate backcountry snowmobilers’ core value of safety, with some key topics being covered by noteworthy individuals in the industry:
– Ilya Storm, senior public avalanche forecaster from the Canadian Avalanche Centre, will analyze your terrain photos.
– Gord Ohm from the Canadian Avalanche Centre will discuss the newly developed Southern Rockies Observation Program.
– Kurt Tilbury of KT Snow Sense will discuss life-saving techniques and strategies that are covered in the Canadian Avalanche Centre’s newly-developed programming that will enhance your AST1 training.
Plus, the event will cover more topics such as beacon talks, information on local safety equipment retailers, local training resources and, most importantly, your own stories and experiences.
You can also win one of the leading-edge safety equipment prizes on offer.
Tickets are $20 with proceeds going to the Canadian Avalanche Association (CAA).
To register, please contact Jarod Bowe at 250-425-3345 or Joni Krats at 250-425-8217.