The Regional District of East Kootenay (RDEK) update on the current regional COVID-19 news.
There is a confirmed COVID-19 case in a student at JA Laird Elementary in Invermere. The following bulleted points are from Interior Health regarding this case:
• When there is a positive COVID-19 case at a school, IH will follow up directly with anyone who has potentially been exposed.
• IH public health has a robust contact tracing process and parents of students who may be at risk of exposure will be contacted directly by IH public health.
• If parents have not been contacted, it is because their child is NOT impacted.
• All student cases will be posted on the IH public website here.
• IH will work closely with the school district to ensure parents have the accurate information they need.
• If there is a broader risk to other students, families or the community, Interior Health will issue a public notice.
• Processes are in place to protect the privacy of all individuals, particularly children and youth, and ensure people have the information they need. IH will not provide specifics about individual cases and circumstances.
• IH continues to urge everyone to follow public health guidance related to COVID-19. Stay home if you are sick or have any symptoms of COVID-19 and call to get tested.
• Since Friday, there have been 366 new positive cases in BC, bringing the total number in BC since January 1st to 8,208 (including 508 in IH)
• Between September 4-17, there have been 4 positive cases in the East Kootenay, bringing our total since January 1st to 27.
• There are currently 1,987 active cases in BC and 3,233 people are under active public health monitoring.
• There are currently 60 people in hospital and 21 in ICU. Since Friday, there were 4 deaths in BC bringing the BC total to 227.
• 5,972 people have recovered.