Be prepared and expect to encounter wildlife anytime you choose to play around Fernie. Bear sightings and encounters have been reported in Ridgemont, Mt Fernie Prov Park, Verbotten and Project 9 and Mt Proctor area (Mad Cow). Cougar sighings have been reported at Fernie Alpine Resort and on Ridgemont Drive.
Se sure to make noise, be alert, don’t litter (more and more fast food garbage found in the backcountry!), carry bear spray and know how to use it. Bear spray is available at outdoor sport shops in Fernie.
For more info on bear safety click here.
- Bear sightings in Fernie
- A Fed Bear is a Dead Bear!
- Bear Attack closes Mt. Fernie Park
- Bear Aware Education
- Bear Aware
- Hibernation time for Fernie Bears and WildSafeBC
- Fernie men tell story of grizzly attack
- Fernie Mountain Bike Guide Supports Trails
- Fernie Trails hosts Porky Blue Ride and Roast
- New Nordic trails one step closer in Fernie